INSIDE PASSAGE ALASKA HIGHWAY FERRY DAY 1


Advertisement
Published: July 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.____Mark Twain


LINKS


Name


TRAVEL TIPS



June 17, 2005, Friday. Today we get on the ferry. Our instructions were to get to the dock early and get in line with our vehicle. The RV will be in the lower level of the ferryboat. Once the vehicle is parked there, we will not be permitted to return to it, except for three designated times a day, as announced. It has something to do with insurance and /or dog walking!?? Maybe you can figure it out?
Bellingham is a neat little town and we did some walking before departure time. Lots of little shops, one purchase was a painting of a bicycle. It was simple, almost primitive, but it just caught my eye.
The security at the ferry site was extreme. A yellow alert was in effect. A while back someone with explosives attempted to board the ferry. So the vehicles are gone over very carefully. There were a lot of security guards with weapons, as well as sniffing dogs. It is too bad our country has come to this.
Before long we completed security and proceeded to the berth assignment officer. These reservations were made in December and this is the age of computers. However we had to wait in line, give our boarding pass be assigned a berth and, after a search, we were handed two old keys (not key cards) to our room. Oh well here we are.
We met a couple also traveling in a RV and we invited them to some wine and cheese. Seems we have many of the same reservations, so we will met up with Bonnie and Jim again.
The view from the ferry was wonderful, evergreen trees, evergreen trees snow capped mountains, ocean and rain. Finally we are on our way to ALASKA!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb