The Doctor's Little Secret


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A Cup A DayA Cup A DayA Cup A Day

Grab your cup with your morning rise, fill it, tilt back your head, and drink giving thanks to the power of your body and the gifts you receive from it every day.
Due to Travelblog's system failure, ten articles were lost and will be re-published. Sorry for the filling of your mailbox... but... drink your urine: Praise be to the body and its' glory!

A chilly winter day called us out: two friends coming together on another adventure. Yes, we laughed. We laughed wondering what the hell we were doing at five in the morning driving for the coast.

With surfboards packed and wetsuits folded, we picked up our Nalgene bottles of hot tea and drank; warming our bloodstreams, busying our kidneys, filling our bladders. Soon we would need to empty them—our bladders that is— and at the thought we smiled, beside ourselves with joy.

It’s like no other feeling: surfing in a wetsuit in frigid waters and then to suddenly have a release of warmth circulate throughout the body. It’s as though you’re floating in your own amniotic fluids while dense Washington storm-surges pound. Yet, the face’s skin is tight, and the nose is cold, running of saltwater. The jaw goes numb and the teeth clatter. Soon your eyelids become so soar it hurts, but no worries, you’re bathing in your own urine, content and yearning for more. My tea was almost gone. I turned to my friend amidst our remembrances and hopeful futures of amniotic warmth. “You know, piss isn’t half bad.”

“Well yeah.”

“No,” I reclaimed, “For more than just warmth in our wetsuits, but Life, my man. It’s Nature’s medicine. Many traditional healers did and continue to drink their own urine. A cup a day keeps the doctor away.”

My friend cringed in response, and secretly, as clandestinely as the medicine itself, I smiled.

The Holy Temple

His name was Pablo Falcon, a Native American healer living in New Mexico. He was on a show called Human Urine—Elixir for Good Health? airing on the National Geographic Channel. It showcased an ancient healing tradition: the practice of drinking one’s own urine. Yes, he drank his own urine; a cup a day, usually in the morning, catching the first stream in mid discharge. He drank it straight, like a shot of whiskey, but slowly sipped it like a hot toddy on a cold moonless night. It was Pablo Falcon’s preventative medicine—urine therapy, or uropathy.

I was young. That’s disgusting, I thought. I looked over at my mom and her face was like that after eating putrid meat. Yum…

Years later, I discovered Pablo’s delinquency, and until then I remained ignorant of my body’s golden elixir as though it was an enigma, hidden from the alchemy of health within a toxic world. But to others it’s tradition, and among a modernizing world tradition is perceived as primitive. So, a group of urine therapists put on the first ever meeting on this ancient method: the First World Conference of Urine Therapy.

Held in 1996 in India, the conference on the art of drinking urine brought together doctors, scientists, practitioners and believers into one room to exalt the benefits, seek out the contradictions, and bring awareness, drive and inspiration to a deepened scientific study of this clandestine cure. They read testimonials of miraculous recoveries. They reviewed the studies of urine and its components. They compared their own experiences, treatments and applications. They found no contradictions. And for the first organized discussion on uropathy, where but a better location than India to kick off this new movement.

Found in the ancient Vedic culture of Hinduism, urine therapy holds another name, Shivambu Kalpa Vidhi, or The Waters of Shiva. In the five thousand year-old Damar Tantra text, the
PerceptionPerceptionPerception

Here's to a healthy heart - mind, body and Soul.
writings recall Shiva as he unleashes his secrets of a healthy mind, body and soul to his wife, Parvati. The text, or sutra, is one of the oldest known documents on healing, one that directly encompasses one’s own body—the ailment and the cure as one. It claims no association with external remedies, but solely describes the power and wisdom of the body under healthy eating habits. It was Mahatma Gandhi who spoke:

The human body is the best portrayal of the universe in miniature. Whatever does not exist in the human body cannot be found in the universe, and whatever exists in the universe can be found in the human body.

Not only does the Vedic culture find complete truth within one’s own being, but ancient medical scriptures of the Egyptians, Chinese, Aztecs and Christians hint at this secret. In Proverbs 5:15 of the Old Testament, it is He who lets it be known: Drink water from thy own cistern, and the streams of thy own well.

Peeing In His Footsteps

Out in the world, I forgot about Pablo. I forgot about the ways of the warrior, the ways of the body, and its own powerful remedies. I forgot about these things because I was falling apart. My body was aching, my head spinning, my nose divulging a sinewy greenness, my intestines constricting, my sphincter bleeding… and all the more… I was in India. Here, I did not forget about Gandhi.

India and the 75th anniversary of Mohandas K. Gandhi’s Salt March. Yes, the Mahatma, or the “Great Souled One”, and here I was falling apart, literally bleeding out of orifices I would rather not repeat.

And what could I do? Whine? Complain? Go to a hospital because I wasn’t feeling well? The Peace Walk wasn’t about me, or about any of the other walkers from nine different nations. The Peace Walk was for those of India, and for Peace above all else; a universal Peace for Mother Earth and Her inhabitants.

A young Japanese living in Nepal came up to me. He was Morita and he saw through to my pain. The man I hardly knew handed me a plastic cup as we took lunch. “Take this,” he said in a hush. Around us others slept. “Go pee, and drink as much of it as you can.”

I was stunned. I
With HealthWith HealthWith Health

Urine is your body's very own cure. Believe in it and be grateful of it.
had forgotten Pablo Falcon. I had forgotten my own body and its power. At that time, I was only cursing it. “What?” Urine is your body's very own cure. Believe in it and be grateful of it.


“You want to get better?” Morita asked.

I nodded.

“Then pee and drink.”

Who Will Wake & When?

What comes to mind is shit and piss, two ways of excreting toxins from the body.

The former—yes.

The latter—no.

When it comes to the process of making urine, there is one large misunderstood nomenclature: Urine is dirty. It picks up all your body’s dirty liquids and whizzes them into a smelly bowl. It’s crap. But what you forgot about is this baroque process.

We eat. We drink. We ingest and we digest. Solid matter is sent into the stomach, churned, macerated and spit out from the intestinal tracks after absorbing the good, the bad and the ugly. With liquids, most, if not all, are absorbed into the bloodstream. From there they flow around, swimming like Chinese fighting fish. Through the limbs, the core, from the spine into the skull, within the tongue and around—the substances of our blood are everywhere before entering its first cleansing phase. This would be the liver.

With health, all things operate accordingly; on time, in rhythm. As the blood enters the liver it becomes the stone within the refinery. The liver is the detoxifier of our blood, removing poisonous products, secreting them or storing waste in the gall bladder, which ends up as bile. From here, the blood flows to the kidneys.

Like a fall storm blowing away a tree’s withering leaves, the kidneys take our blood and balance our body. Coen van der Kroon, in his urine therapy guide The Golden Fountain, describes how “they remove all superfluous vital substances from the blood, and filter out a surplus of water.” These leftovers are the diamonds emerging from the refinement. They are the matter that form urine—simply the leftovers from the body’s water and nutrients. And a healthy diet is key.

Despite varying ranges of lifestyles, urine at best is an elixir; it is the water of life. In J.W. Armstrong’s very own The Water of Life, homeopath and naturopath Ellis Barker quotes that “our body distils the most wonderful medicines and provides the most perfect serums and antibodies.” In fact, the list of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids and hormones runs long.

One of these powerful byproducts is urea; an organic compound of carbamide containing carbon, nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen. With this knowledge, pharmaceuticals have discreetly capitalized on urine’s power, incorporating urine in anti-cancer prescriptions as well as blood-clot dissolvers, ointments, hand creams, lotions and soaps. Your very own urine is known to have a significant effect on the following diseases:

Adrenal failure, AIDS/HIV, allergies, cancer, candida, colds & flu symptoms, colitis, dandruff, diabetes, diarrhea, ear & eye troubles, eczema, gangrene, gout, heart disease, hepatitis, herpes, hyperactivity, jaundice, lupus, mononucleosis, multiple sclerosis, pancreatic insufficiency, psoriasis, rashes, rheumatism, rheumatoid arthritis, sciatica, warts and more.

Research remains limited, and the guesses as to why are as many as urine’s benefits. If humankind began sipping, fasting, massaging, gargling, douching, eye and ear-dropping, sniffing, injecting, compressing, rubbing, bathing, shampooing and giving oneself an enema all with one’s own urine, doctors would become superfluous like the many nutrients within your own waters. The pharmaceutical industry would collapse.

Chemicals would be cleansed from peoples’ bodies. Man & woman would be healthy, strong and immune. And the billions of dollars going toward the chemical-dependent world would be spent on education. Ah yes, the sweet scent of urine.

Relief & Revival

We returned from the torrential Washington coast. Another successful day after six hours of driving to find unsurfable waves underneath a sharp onshore that blew the crests, the sands, the treetops, the seagulls and eagles, and the rain to smithereens.

With full bladders and wetsuits stretched tight over every inch of our body, we had paddled for 45 minutes until our arms felt like steel, our face like glacial ice, our jaws like clenched monkey wrenches, but our bodies were warm like soup. Urine circulated throughout our very own biosphere, and as I gave another shot at a snarling surge in the Pacific, I peed once more and let myself go.

A holy temple.

An elixir.

The cause and effect in one.

The ailment and medicament together.

From peeing on my jellyfish and sea anemone stings from snorkeling adventures, to the delight of surfing with a wetsuit and full bladder, to drinking my body’s morning tea, to my first golden shower—your body’s urine is anything but wasteful. It is the gift, sanctified through the internal processes and given to you once more for complete health, detoxification and rejuvenation.

Online Resources:
Urine Therapy
Healing With Urine Therapy
Alternative Health
InnerSelf




Kroon, Coen van der. The Golden Fountain: The Complete Guide to Urine Therapy. Wishland Publishing, Inc.: 2000.

Armstrong, John W.. The Water of Life: A Treatise on Urine Therapy. Vermilion, London: 2005.




Advertisement



6th May 2007

Spenser
Yes I. Peace be with you.
7th May 2007

Tashi delek
Hi brother it is really nice to read about you every almost every week. thanks for that. from Love and misssssssss your brother Loti
11th May 2007

truth springs forth
keep spreading the word brother, i have recently learned of urine therapy in a yoga course, fascinating!

Tot: 0.431s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 27; qc: 167; dbt: 0.2057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.6mb