The Scenic Route


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
July 22nd 2006
Published: August 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mountain RiverMountain RiverMountain River

View from bridge on the Blue Ridge Parkway
And finally we are off!

We set off this morning around 9am after some emotional goodbyes. I think the family are so used to the tearful goodbyes that we normally have when going back to London that they didn’t really believe that this time we will only be gone for a matter of weeks not months or years.

We started our journey heading North through Virginia to Washington DC. The quicker more obvious route would have been to take I-95 straight up; however this trip is not about taking the quickest or the easiest routes. It’s all about taking our time and going the scenic route. So what better way to start our trip than by heading up the Blue Ridge Parkway through the Appalachian Mountains?! Fortunately we managed to stay ahead of the forecasted rains and had a glorious sunny day and some breathtaking views off the Parkway. We then drove through the Shenandoah National Park Skyline Drive for even more winding roads and scenic overlooks. We even got up close and personal with the local wildlife when a family of deer crossed the road right in front of us. They were so cute!

We stopped for
Scenic OverlookScenic OverlookScenic Overlook

One of the many stunning views from the Parkway overlooks. We stopped at nearly all of them!
dinner just outside of Arlington, VA and made it to our hotel in Arlington by around 8pm. After a long day in the car, it was nice to kick back and watch some television before bed. With a monumental day of DC sightseeing ahead, we thought it best to call it an early night. Sweet dreams!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Picnic LunchPicnic Lunch
Picnic Lunch

This place has the best views in town!
Doe a deer...Doe a deer...
Doe a deer...

A family of deer crossed the road right in front of us and moved safely into the meadow.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb