Caving


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
August 22nd 2009
Published: August 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, caving was great!

A four hour ride to Virginia was not so bad. There were lots of farms along the way, so that only means that the ride was filled with the nice aroma of cow poopy!

The caves were 55 degrees, so that is nice - not hot hot at all and certainly not too cold~ such beautiful weather for a northerner... The cave was full of stalactites and stalacmites (those of you who had 7th grade science will remember what I am talking about for everyone else - they are just ice cicles that hang from the top of the cave ceiling and bottom grow from the bottom of the cave floor). The colors of the cave were really neat! Lots of bright white, orange and yellowish colors; OH AND lets not forget the bats! They were awesome, really cute actually, brown and fuzzy with little beatie eyes! None of them attacked me, so that is a good thing! If so, I probably would have screamed so loud that it would have caused the cave to "cave" in. To give you some history about the cave - Apparently, it was founded by a couple of little kids whom were chasing after rabbits in their backyard. The rabbits ran behind a rock and the kids thought they had captured them, so they began digging behind the rock only to find a huge gapping hole in the ground and that was the beginning of the Endless Caves. The family that found the caves used to take tours down there and hold parties - Since it was during the years of the prohibition - It was a good place to hold parties with the gold ol' moon shine!

Anyway it was a fun time!
The tour guide was pretty cool too.

Advertisement



2nd September 2009

What about spiders?
Any spiders down in the cave? I am picturing something big like about 12 inches in diameter. Something the bats could feed on for a week.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb