Day 98


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
November 30th 2007
Published: December 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 98


Obfuscator writes: It was cold in the night. It was funny, since when we had arrived at Assateague National Seashore, it had been warmer than any of the previous nights. I even thought it was warmer than those nights when I went to bed. Nevertheless, during the night, it got cold! So naturally, I pulled my bag and bivvy cover over my head. What this really meant was that I was slightly less cold, but slept pretty late. By the time I was up, Onaxthiel had been up for a while, taking pictures, and exploring the area.

At any rate, after I got up, we went down to the beach, and took a good look at the shore where we had been camped. The ocean was pretty there, much like it had been in Ocean City. This shouldn't come as much of a surprise, since we were just about 10 miles south of there. We found some cool shells along the beach, and a neat wreck on shore. We headed north from there, back through Ocean City. Somewhere between there and Georgetown, we had found a gun store going out of business on our first trip up a few days previous. As this was their last day open, we wanted to drop by again, to see if we could get any great deals. We picked up a few interesting items, including a harness for my camera and a lot of mint candies, and moved along.

We grabbed breakfast in a nearby coffee shop, and hijacked their wireless for a while, just enough to find that the weather predictions for Virginia were nice and clear, and to verify that there were no car ferries across the Chesapeake. Having taken the Bridge-Tunnel on our way up, we thought it would be fun to take a ferry back across. Unfortunately, they all shut down when the Bridge-Tunnel opened in the 1960s. We drove back across the bridge, which turned out to be cool, since it was a much clearer day this time. On our way through, we saw some sort of Naval ship really hauling toward the tunnel channel, and so after we passed under the tunnel, we took a quick turnout to photograph it.

Coming into Virginia Beach, we hit a lot of traffic, which was made worse by a fairly major accident on the freeway. We exited off it, bypassing the accident, and drove on toward Richmond, and points west. We drove on until we reached Holiday State Park, near Appomattox, Virginia. It was after dark by this point, but we were happy to have got that far, since it set us up nicely to see Appomattox Court House and other parts of western Virginia the following day. Trip thus far.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Observation TowerObservation Tower
Observation Tower

Kept German subs at bay.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb