More Virginia Yet Again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
September 16th 2022
Published: September 16th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 15th


We were staying on the outskirts of the City of Staunton (pop. 25,000) so we cunningly plotted a route to get us back the 25 miles or so to join the MABDR without going back through the city traffic.

On this route we found a great well stocked country store that served us a hearty breakfast. They also had a selection of stuffed animals on display (as per the photos) that had all been shot locally. A Bear and a Coyote (we think it’s a Coyote and not a fox – corrections accepted) Leaving our breakfast stop we climbed (as usual) in the region Of Shenandoah Mountain and the Shenandoah valley. Although these were made famous by John Denver’s song “Country Road” They are also historically significant.

This whole area is historic in terms of the American Civil War. It played a pivotal role during the Civil War years when the Shenandoah Valley just north of the city served as the "Breadbasket of the Confederacy." Of course,the Union Forces were trying to take this area to cut off he confederates supplies. (An army marches on its stomach) While most battles were being fought north or west of the town, it was the presence of the Virginia Central Railroad that provided a vital link between the Valley and eastern Virginia. We stopped at the top of a pass where you could look down into the Shenandoah Valley. There were the remains of an old fort built here which even after all this time was recognisable. The war was fought in the 1860’s over irreconcilable differences between the Northern States under Abraham Lincoln who wanted to abolish slavery, and the Southern States who wanted to continue slavery. At least 600,000 soldiers died during this war, many teenagers who signed up for a great adventure!!!

We did a loop around the base of Shenandoah Mountain and continued on great gravel roads. These was huge variation in the roads/tracks. Some were fast and smooth whereas others had switchbacks, washouts and rocks wating to deal to your front wheel.

Occasionally we had a stream crossing and one in particular stood out as on a fast smooth track it suddenly appeared with no warning and Bryan who was travelling at a goodly speed went into the stream, got it completely sideways after hitting a rock but miraculously managed to save it all, albeit exiting halfway up the left-hand bank. I was following so got a birds-eye view and a chance to slow down a bit before my entrance. Spectacular!!

Continuing on these magic tracks/roads we had more stream crossings (nothing so spectacular) and plenty more culverts and rocks to dodge along with squirmy thick gravel before we arrived in the town of Moorfield WV for a late lunch.

Spent out lunch trying to find accommodation which we eventually did. A great hotel on the outskirts, 600m from a restaurant and with a free breakfast for tomorrow morning.

Only 270kms today but good riding and great scenery along with a bit of history thrown in.

Advertisement



17th September 2022

Awesome
Once again a great ride Also love the look of the new front tires Real knarley

Tot: 0.381s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 70; dbt: 0.2014s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb