the basics


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Vienna
May 23rd 2007
Published: May 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

hey! i set up this site so my family and friends can read what i'm up to while i'm in africa for the next three months. instead of emailing or calling everyone to tell them how i'm doing, i figured it would be easier to just post my stuff. i'm going to try and post my pictures on facebook instead of here (it's easier) but don't worry mom and dad, mikey can show you how save them to the computer! 😉

here is a guideline itinerary. the only set-in-stone dates are the flights and i'm not even sure if i'm correct on them at the moment (i need to check my tickets again) i'll be sure to post if anything changes!

i'm flying into lisbon, portugal on may 26 then taking a bus to spain and a ferry to morocco and then a bus down to rabat where my school is located. there, i'm going to study french and teach english as a volunteer from may 28th until june 24th (i think) the classes i'm taking are through UVA and the whole thing was made possible by a scholarship that i was awarded through ECU to promote global understanding (best grad present ever- thanks ECU!) after classes end, i don't have another flight until july 24th so i'm looking into what i wanna do and where i wanna go during that month.
july 24th, i have a flight to ghana where i am hoping to find some volunteer work as well. i am also planning to travel into togo and benin which are the two countries next to ghana. i am in the ghana/togo/benin area for about a month until i fly out of ghana to casablanca, morocco where i do the whole bus, ferry, bus transit thing so i can fly back to the states from lisbon, august 29th (it was a lot cheaper to get flights in and out of portugal than morocco and i have never been to portugal or spain so why not, right?)

right, so now it's almost 5am, wednesday morning and i am leaving for portugal on saturday. 3 weeks ago, i had no idea that i was even going to africa let alone being able to spend so much time there! as of this moment for my trip i have seven shots (i have officially gotten over my phobia of needles), 3 travel books, a backpack full of clothes, bugspray and contact solution, malaria pills, plane tickets, hopefully enough graduation money in the bank, 3 months and almost no plans... excited doesn't even BEGIN to cover it!

Advertisement



23rd May 2007

Whats up homz'
Hey Lindsay, Its Chris from your Sociology class. Thats awesome all the traveling you're gonna get to do. I see from your schedule that you'll be in Spain for some period of time. I don't know how much time you've got to hang out there but I'm in Spain right now and actually quite close to Morroco. If you can afford the time to chill in Spain for a bit let me know and maybe we can meet up somewhere. Most of the hostels I'm in have internet access so you can reach me on facebook. I hope that works out but if not good luck and I'll see you sometime back home. You're gonna have quite an experience.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb