Sharp Tops and Banjos


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Roanoke
July 29th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What a full and fun day today was. We did so much, and lots of it was unexpected. What a day.

We began by driving to the Peaks of Otter recreation area on the Blue Ridge Parkways, where we were to climb Sharp Top Mountain. The drive was spectacular, with ups and downs and twists and turns right up and over the blue ridge. The hike up Sharp top was breezy and cool in the shade of the trees, but pretty much 1.5 miles up hill...a lot of it on rocky stairs. There were lots of breaks going up. At the summit we were greated by the old stone cottage, and all of the stairs and boulders that top this pointy mountain top. The views were literally 360 degrees...it was amazing. Jack was climbing on all of the boulders, getting views and pics in all directions. The way down was a bit easier, with not a single break, and only an hour of walking. Along the way we stopped at the Buzzard's Roost for more fun and pics (it's a strange protrusion of piled boulders that rises from the canopy.)

Following our Sharp Top adventure, we picniced by Otter Lake, the walked the Johnson Family farm trail to a historic recreation farm. It represented a 1930s farm from the area, and was staffed by a lovely lady who knew a great deal abou the Johnson family that lived in the area back in the day. Then, unexpected, we learned about an event going on 25 miles up the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the James River visitors centre, that was featuring the Historical Society and a musical performance by some local, award winning Appalachian Music performers. Banjos, fiddels and Mandolins? I'm in. The drive up the BRP was amazing, and it was astounding sitting along the river, under a big tree, with an old timey river boat nearby, watching these two guys play. Watch the video I attached, it is great.



We arrived back at the Hotel, went to the pool, relaxed,a changed and were off to a very surprisingly great dinner. Simple, cheap, but amazing. We can't recommend highly enough Alejandro's Mexican Grill in downtown Roanoke. I had the Tequila Shrimp Tacos with rice and beans, and Jackie had the Arroz Con Pollo. So flavourful and great.

Then we went and saw Dark Knight Rises. Amazing movie...best one yet for me (Jack)

And that was our day. Off to Savannah.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb