McAfee Knob...What a view!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Roanoke
July 29th 2012
Published: July 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was an excellent first full day in Roanoke. We knew we were in for something with McAfee Knob on the itinerary, but I guess we didn't really know what was coming.

After a good nights sleep and a hot hotel breakfast, we were off to the trailhead parking lot to get started on the 3.9 mile hike up to McAfee Knob. The drive was only about 20 minutes, there was plenty of parking and it was clear which way to go. We started up the trail with lots of energy and excitement and it just kept getting better. We saw our first Appalachian Trail shelter, a few campsites, and our first glimpses of the grand view ahead. But it wasn't until we reached the other side of the mountain ridge, nearning our destination that we really saw what was in store. Arriving at McAfee Knob was outstanding. I'd seen it photographed, by amateurs and pros, but nothing prepares you for the immensity of the view. It was like 260 degrees around. Such a wide expanse of lush green mountains, small clearings for farms and hawks soaring on the winds. Astounding. 30 minutes and a PB and J sandwich later and we were on our way down. It took us 2 hours to get up, and about 1 to get down. We took the fire road rather than the AT to get down, as we were getting tired and running low on water, and before long we were at the parking lot. Alogn the way there were [lenty of potential boulders with countless bouldering problems on for me to drool over, but alas I couldn't do it...no crash pad...no bouldering.

We arrived back at the hotel, went for a dip in the pool and hot tub, rested, and got ready for dinner. WE expected to just go for a casual meal, and save a nicer meal for tomorrow, but the restaurant we wanted to eat at in downtown Roanoke wasn't open for Sunday dinner...so we rushed around, went back to the hotel, changed into our nicer clothes, and hurried back for a great dinner at First and Sixth on Jefferson St. We shared the Coffee and Brown Sugar Rubbed Scallops Over Wilted Leeks, Smoked Bacon and Saffron Beurre Blanc and the Baby Spinach Salad, Tomato Confit, Soft Egg, Bacon, And Raspberry Vinaigrette both of which were excellent, particularly the scallops (the egg in the salad was a little too soft for my taste), and for entrees we throughly enjoyed the Pecan Crusted Breast of Chicken with Five Cheese and Fire Roasted Pepper Mac & Cheese, Collard Greens, and a Country Ham / Dijon Sauce and Blackened Catfish, Fried Oysters, Dirty Rice and Lemon Butter Sauce. The restaurant was pretty empty when we arrived at 6:30ish, which was odd, but filled by the time we left an hour later....it seems they eat dinner later here in VA.

More hiking on tap for tomorrow at the Peaks of Otter, and a brief ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. See you then.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb