New scenery


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Norfolk
December 30th 2012
Published: December 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A small weather window opened up for Caribee to make her move around Cape Hatteras. We left Deltaville at midnight Friday morning in the moonlight. It was beautiful, but it was very very cold. The waters were confused and it was hard to nap between the cold and the rolling of the boat. Caribee handled very well, and so did the autopilot when we needed a break.

As we approached the end of the Chesapeake we had to bring in our sail, the wind was in the wrong direction. When the motor had to work hard without the help of the sail it began to overheat at high revolution. We had not experienced this before and could not find any leaks or anything strange. This kept happening, and we had to reduce speed as the dawn broke. Not good news. As we crossed out into the ocean we heard the newest weather forecast- our window was closing in and the gale force winds were going to hit Hatteras Saturday morning instead of in the afternoon. With our reduced speed we were now sure to have high winds on our nose and bad waves before arriving in Beauport. Without our engine in top shape and not knowing what was wrong with it, the only safe thing to do was turn around and pull into Little Creek to figure out what was going on and wait out the bad weather.

And so we have some new scenery- Bay Point Marina is very big with many docks to walk and many boats to visit. At the end of our dock is a restaurant and tiki bar, can't complain about that! There is a grocery store within walking distance, and our best discovery was a long stretch of beach on the other side of the housing community across from the marina. Today is very windy and cold so we are doing research, but we plan to try to walk the beach every day we can. This is an interesting place, and we were tired setting out, so it is maybe a good thing that we are here. We will get the rest and strength that we need. The motor is ok now, it was a faulty impeller. Our stove is now working and we will keep doing odd projects until we get the weather we need to move on. But...

The journey has begun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



31st December 2012

Glad Your'e OK
Hey- good to hear from you. At least you are getting closer to warmer weather. I left you a message on your phone- I hope you got it-it's fairly important. Good Sailing and Happy New Year. If you were still here you might have that mystery hole in your hull that we spoke about. Thanks until-
31st December 2012

Go Marty Go.........Go Lori Go ....!!!!!!!!!!
BUT always stop and enjoy a marina or anchorage if possible bad weather threatens. Well you have broken your land lines and have cast off. CONGRADULATIONS !!!!!!!!! Boat is looking Great, you both have a lot to be proud of. Keep the updates comming , we wish we were at the TIKI BAR with you !! XoXoX Ps...... Gotta love yer Diesel......
1st January 2013

thank you!! :)

Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0958s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb