Home


Advertisement
Published: May 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Home


We finally made it home. We left Saturday morning from Sequoyah Caverns and decided the distance required we take interstates to keep on schedule. So we hit I-59 just south of Georgia and traveled around Chattanooga, up to Knoxville, and over to I-81. We kept at 55 MPH, as planned to conserve gas and chugged along in sunny weather the whole way. The damaging storms never came near us and we headed up towards Roanoke, VA.
Trish had called her brother in Crossville, TN to see about meeting near Knoxville for lunch, but he had just come back from a trip to Florida and was scheduled for some medical tests in Nashville early this week. So we would not be able to see them. We then called an old friend of Trish’s from when they had been nurses together in NJ, FL, and Boston. Dee and Al were now living in Bedford, VA and agreed to meet us for dinner.
We got a camp site at Dixie Caverns outside Salem, VA. (No, we didn’t plan a caving vacation, it just happened.) The campground was crowded and not just because it was almost full. Sites were close together and constricted. But we had full hookups. However, the Interstate was less than 200 yards away. We would have had a quieter time staying at a Wal-Mart parking lot! Dee and Al arrived shortly after we got set up and we had a great time chatting, went to a local restaurant for dinner, and then they drove us back to the campground.
Sunday morning was drizzly and we quickly had breakfast, unplugged, and started up home. Rain was light most of the way as we crossed over I-64 and came up home on a busy US-29 through Charlottesville. We got in about 2 PM, and after a quick lunch, began unloading the coach. We got everything important out by 4 and then it started to pour.
We finished taking the motor scooter off today, Monday. (I stayed home to rest, and help Trish clean up.) All that is left is to wipe down the inside, put gas in, and take it to the storage lot until next trip. (Next trip is May 23-26. We are going to camp in Manassas with Kim and go to Wolftrap to hear Garrison Keillor on Friday.)
I’ll have one last blog to give the data and analysis: total miles, MPG, cost, and our impressions over all from the trip. Sorry, no photos on this leg; pretty boring riding the interstates.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb