Hoping the First Piece Fell Into Place


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Dulles
July 2nd 2015
Published: June 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.0095, -77.4647

Anna was away for the last two weeks of June, which coincided with K's busiest time at work. It was great that she was having such a great experience, but it also allowed K and I to concentrate on our work and to get everything ready for the trip. We met my parents the weekend before we left, as they had agreed to watch Chip for us while we were gone. We always refer to his trips down there as his "summer camp." I know he has a good time.

We both had holiday-shortened days on Thursday the 2nd, and K was working from home, which worked out well. I had ordered a taxi the night before to take us to the airport, and we were all set and ready at the appointed time, but no taxi. I finally called and they admitted to having lost the reservation. They dispatched another car but I was worried about crowds at the airport, being the afternoon before a holiday at the height of all the international departures. As we'd signed up for Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check last year, we were able to shoot through security very quickly, and we ended up with time to spare in the lounge. Our connection window in London was an hour and 45 minutes, and we watched the clock carefully as our departure time approached, worried that a delay might force us to miss our connection. My deep-down concern was that we'd be so delayed that Anna would arrive in Lisbon before us.

Our flight was well oversold, which was the reason for the short delay in boarding, as they tried to entice people to give up their seats. We never considered it and were glad when we were finally aloft and the captain announced that we would arrive only 15 minutes behind schedule.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb