Southern U.S. Day 1

Published: May 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 1

When I woke up, it was 40 degrees, so to delay things a little Chris & I went to breakfast, hoping that it would be a little warmer afterwards. It was a little warmer, but still quite chilly. It was pretty much cold all day. To make matters worse, I caught a cold the night before. Definitely not ideal conditions for riding a motorcycle, but tolerable.

I ran into a bit of traffic near the 295-76 merge, but after that traffic was pretty light for most of the day. I rode down rt 113 instead of rt 13 in Delaware because I thought it would be more scenic. I was wrong, Delaware is pretty bland regardless or of which route you take.

As I rode into the Delmarva Peninsula it became quite windy, not as bad as South Dakota, but still enough to be problematic. It was really bad going across the causeways into Assataegue & Chincoteague. Because of the high wind I took very few pictures, and really couldn’t ride through the two parks, which is a shame because what I did get to see was beautiful. Except for the ride across the causeway into Chincoteague, which had a billboard about every 15 feet, all of them right next to the causeway.

As I got closer to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-tunnel it became even windier. I was afraid that they would close the bridge to trucks and motorcycles because of the high winds. When I got there I was relieved to find that the bridge was still open, but was very concerned about the high wind. Amazingly, when I got onto the bridge, there wasn’t really much wind at all.

I got to the motel in Chesapeake around 6 pm, checked in and had dinner at the Cracker Barrel next door.

I was not nearly as sore as I anticipated, mostly just my back and shoulders, I was surprised that my legs didn’t hurt, because I remember the first couple of nights on my last trip, they hurt a lot.

I'll upload the few pictures I did take tonight.


Tot: 1.359s; Tpl: 0.075s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb