About a week to go


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This is mainly a test to make sure my subscriber list works. The catch is that in order for it to work you have to write more than a three line "this is a test" message. I guess its to block spammers. Anyways what follows is a testament to my college education....writing for length and not content...so if you're bored feel free to read it...if not...I'm not here to judge...do whatever you want.

So I figure I'll lay down some ground rules for myself before the trip:

Rule 1) The average temperature in India this time of year is close to 105 degrees. I knew this when I signed up. Therefore I forbid myelf to bitch about it. If I do all readers of this blog have the responsibility to call me on it.

Rule 2) I will NOT spend hours proof reading this. I'll do my best to write well and spell everything correctly. I think faster than I can type and my fingers get impatient...this leads to typos. I apologize. If I happen to end my sentence with a preposition... I don't want to hear about it. If you have a problem you can F off.

Rule 3) I'm going to try everything there is to try. Food, dancing, exploring etc.....I've honestly spent my life dreaming about stuff like this and resenting everyone else who was actually doing it... you all get the point


Rule 4) My sister wanted to know why I chose the name "The Waker." Well Meg, a nickname was required...and seeing as most of the nicknames I've picked up along the path of youthful indiscretions I like to call "adolesence" are far from appropriate for a public blog...I had to make one up. My friends from Charlottesville introduced me to a band called "Widespread Panic" this year and they have a song entitled "The Waker" Its a sweet Hippy Rambling song and since I'm gonna be doing some sweet hippy rambling I thought it fit.

Shit..that was more of a comment than a rule

Rule 5) Comments can be numbered like rules at any point.

thats better


Ok so a little about my trip. I leave on June 2nd out of Wasington DC destined for Delhi, India. I'll be there for about a night then getting on a train to Dehradun to participate in a month long rural health rotation through Child Family Health International (CFHI). Since I'm pre-clinical (translation I have an acceptance letter to medical school....thats it) My presence will be mainly observational, but I hope to learn a bit about basic physical exams and history taking...provided the language barrier isn;t too great. I'll have weekends off and am really looking forward to traveling to Hairdwar and Rishikesh. I love to do some trekking and I hope there is enough time for that.

After India I'm flying to Paris where I'll meet up with Doc and Kev, my two friends from college, and then head to Ireland for a couple of days. Doc has family there and I was told "to be polite and eat whaever is given to me"...that my bread and butter baby...anyways after that were planning on flying to Bilbao, spain and then hitching into Pamplona for San Fermin....hopefully the serenity of Ireland will be enough of a buffer between Indian children and Charging bulls...who knows...next post will be from India.



Advertisement



1st June 2006

I like being first...
Yes, I know you haven't left the States yet, but I just wanted to lay claim to the first response to your blog. Have fun, be careful and DO NOT lose that license plate. Love ya, Meg

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb