Famliy Camping in the Green State


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont
July 2nd 2004
Published: July 2nd 2004
Edit Blog Post

Warren FallsWarren FallsWarren Falls

Vermant may be a "land-locked" state, but there is an abundance of places where people were able to splash in the creeks a waterfalls as well as Lake Champlaine.
Ain’t called a “Green Mountain State” for nothing.

My original intension was to visit this area across that BIG lake. I tried to get a spot reserved at the campgrounds in Crown Point where we stayed a few years ago. I called that number and spoke to the owner, only to find out that he retired from the business. He sold the place a year before and the new owner had his own ambitions… (Probably was planning to make the place a 5-star resort) Anyway, “Jack” gave me the name and number of a campground just over the Crown Point Bridge that was recently acquired by a young couple. As soon as I made the reservations, I started planning to spend most our trip in the Green Mountain State and would have to find a way to save my waistline from the temptations that will be coming from Ben and Jerry’s as well as that famous Vermont Maple Syrup.

While we were preparing to see the Green Mountains, Vermont made news after “the National Trust decided to list the entire State as one of the 11 most endangered historic places in the USA. The news surprised me because during
Chimney Point MuseumChimney Point MuseumChimney Point Museum

This Pre-revolutionalry...Historical Building was once a post office, a tavern a house now a museum.. in a very nice setting..... more to come later.
most of my childhood, Vermont had much better zoning laws that prevented the worst of the suburban sprawl that we in upstate New York and many other states experienced…

Sad that people have to go to great lengths to keep “Walmarts” at a limit. (Especially when other chain stores such as Home Depot and IKEA have also met a strong resistance from the locals for similar reasons.) There is no doubt that Vermont has many small charming towns worth preserving from a tourist point of view and it would be hard to imagine seeing Main Street be replaced by 6 lane shopping highway slums . So touché for those who try to keep “progress” under control… I just hope they can still pay their mortgages too.

Of course we all could have died with big smiles after experiencing the accesses to the fishing streams, ponds and of course the lake. We also got a thrill from the waterfalls, hiking and biking trails and enjoyed walking through many of the historic towns and vistas. If we won the lottery, there is no doubt that somebody’s property would have been sold, so long as it had enough land for a
Shelborne MuseumShelborne MuseumShelborne Museum

Vermont's answer to Zanza Schannz.. (I appoligise to the dutch for my spelling errors).. These buildings at this open air museum moved from somewhere else and preserved to relive those days gone past...
Morgan horse and a stream to fish from…

There was one downside… None of us wanted to go back to that Big Bad City.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Shelborne againShelborne again
Shelborne again

I had to proove to my friend that my husband did the unthinkable and vollunteered to do some laundry.. hahaha!
Shelborne MuseumShelborne Museum
Shelborne Museum

Yes, Lake Champlaine did (and still does) offer luxury cruises
Salisbury HatcherySalisbury Hatchery
Salisbury Hatchery

Fishing buffs will surely appreciated the work that Vermont's hatcheries do to keep you fishing poles busy.. We just liked to buy the feed to keep somebody's future dinner jumping..
You might not be alone.....You might not be alone.....
You might not be alone.....

I highly suggest having mosquito repellant on hand since some small things can be a BIG nuisance. ;-)
Our happy vaccation home..Our happy vaccation home..
Our happy vaccation home..

Don't let this sight fool you... We were able to rent this at our campsite as if it was a cabin and we were really very comfortable..
Our happy vaccation home..Our happy vaccation home..
Our happy vaccation home..

Don't let this sight fool you... We were able to rent this at our campsite as if it was a cabin and we were really very comfortable.. http://sportsmanccs.com/ (802) 759-2348 Vt Rte 125 - Addison,Vermont 05491
Where we camped..Where we camped..
Where we camped..

Yes they did have cabins and a brand new pool too..which we enjoyed as well as the camp-owners hospitality http://sportsmanccs.com/ (802) 759-2348 Vt Rte 125 - Addison,Vermont 05491


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb