June 18 Melville Shelter, VT to Kid Gore Shelter, VT 12.8 Miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont
June 26th 2009
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We made the right choice of staying here last night. I found that flat spot for CC to be in the tent safe from all the creatures that roam the night. I had a nice spot in the shelter which was mice free all night long. Best is the thing was water tight. Rain started up about 3AM along with wind. I thought CC might retreat into the shelter, but she toughed it out all night in the tent. She was a bit damp when she got up and had to contort a bit to get comfortable, but she survived. The lady with the dog was up first, 5:30. The poor dog was not very happy this morning. She crawled up into the shelter between a couple of the guys and got comfortable. Not sure what type dog she is, I just know she is a house dog not liking the rain, mud and wearing a doggie backpack. When they got ready to leave the dog was quite reluctant to go out in the rain.

We headed out by 7:30 with all our rain stuff on prepared to do battle with the elements. My barometer was tanking, the wind was up and the rain was monsoon like. Not a fun day to be hiking through "Vermud." We made the Goddard Shelter just before 11:30 and took our lunch break. Not much to see today as it requires your full attention just to walk. There was an older lady doing a zero day in the shelter. She was all tucked into her sleeping bag reading a book. A day section hiker stopped in and gave us a weather report that was depressing. Rain for the next week! After lunch it was only 4.3 miles to the Kid Gore Shelter.

The weather worsened along with our motivation. We talked of what we were thinking and what our plans might be. We decided to take a short break and head for home. We are about six hours from home by car, so we will have someone come get us tomorrow. We both seem to have hit a low point in motivation at the same time and this hike is supposed to be enjoyable, the joy is gone today it is just work.

When we arrived at the shelter we were surprised to see four people taking a zero day there. Two sisters, a young and an older man. The shelter was open toward the wind and was damp and cold. We both were getting cold so CC claimed her space in the shelter and went about changing into dry cloths and getting into her sleeping bag. The wind and rain had not abated one bit all day. One of the sisters had a phone number of a shuttle guy who serviced this area. A call was made, pickup time and place were arranged, and all was set for extraction tomorrow. CC's brother called us after I had talked to our son. Steve will drive up in the morning to get us.

After some hot food and drinks we started to feel better. CC had not been this cold since our first year. Near Mt Rodgers we had walked in a similar day and I had to put her in the tent and bag to prevent hypothermia. Our spirits are higher as we get ready for the night. It is 8PM, the wind and rain continue, all is damp except for our spirits, and now we know there is a break in sight.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

For Photos and Video: http://odandccslongwalk.shutterfly.com/

OD and CC have been marking their path with a GPS using SPOT Satellite Messenger and can be tracked at the following link. It keeps track of their last 7 days: http://tinyurl.com/o2g53z

Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb