Another year, another journey


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont
January 4th 2009
Published: January 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The APB CrewThe APB CrewThe APB Crew

Anthony, Paula and Barbara, at Stillwater Farm, Vermont
Welcome to our wanderings...

"The journey has been incredible from its beginning." Sidney Poitier

After spending several decades on an island in the South Pacific, the North Island of New Zealand, the urge to see over the horizon led Anthony to follow up on a longstanding dream.

In 2007, he first ventured outside the South Pacific when he took a six month contract driving vans in Colorado, in the high country of the United States.

In 2008, he ventured further, wandering across the States for several months, winding up in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. He worked there through autumn and into winter, on Stillwater farm, an elevated property with views of nearby Lake Memphremagog, a a body of water that straddles the Canadian border.

In 2009, its time to leave the quiet of rural U.S. and tread the long path all the way back to New Zealand. In this case of course, the path won't be so much trodden, as flown. There's not really any other way to get to New Zealand.

Two intrepid Americans are coming along: Paula, an artist also known as Paua, after the beautiful New Zealand shellfish of
Sunrise at Stillwater FarmSunrise at Stillwater FarmSunrise at Stillwater Farm

December's snow covered hills surrounding Lake Memphremagog reflect a cold dawn light, beautiful, but about minus 15 degrees C.
the same name, and Barbara, also known as Grace, because she just likes it that way. Paua paints such realistic portraits of light and shadow on a face that the subject seems about to speak, and when Grace creates, she is a one-woman quilt factory.

While they both remain in ignorance of just how FAR it is, and probably would remain safe at home in front of a roaring fire if they did, both are certain that the long flight, about 20 hours from Burlington, Vermont to Auckland, New Zealand, will be worth it. Right now their choice means swapping winter's snow and ice for a couple of airline meals and the balmy climate of summertime Aotearoa.

"If all difficulties were known at the outset of a long journey, most of us would never start out at all." Dan Rather

Anthony remembers summer sand flies and mosquitoes, and hopes his companions retain a good sense of humour. It will be wonderful, they think. Yes, it will. New Zealand is beautiful, rich in culture and landscape. Anthony will have a ball showing the northern hemisphere girls around.

Hopefully it won't be raining when we get there.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb