Third week in Vermont


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont
July 30th 2022
Published: August 28th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Sunday: Today was truly about surviving the warm temperatures. They were well into the 90s with high humidity and I have no AC 😞 Not many places with AC are dog friendly, and even the stores that are, don't end up being somewhere that you want to hang out at all afternoon. Copper is not a water dog- afraid of the water really. But something had to give to manage the warm temperatures. So we compromised and went and hung out at a swimming hole, but I just went and dipped in the water a few times to cool off. And yes, while I did so, everyone had pity on him while he had anxiety on the shore... Then we went and found a hammock spot in the shade in the later afternoon when a slight breeze came in. Luckily later in the evening a thunderstorm came in and broke the heat. But man, I'd rather be in Arizona on days like these because at least everywhere there is equipped for the heat. Still don't want 6+ months of it... but it's no fun without AC. I thought Vermont would be a nice escape from summer heat spending July here but not so much!

Thursday: Drove to Keene NH to attend a bookclub (for a very strange travel book). But when I got there, the host had commented 15 minutes prior that they were postponing it due to the thunderstorm that was coming in. Yes, there was a thunderstorm that hit at about 6:30 but it lasted 15 minutes? Like it normally does in New England? It was blue skies at 5:30 and it was blue skies by 7:30 again... lol. I don't get it but oh well. Ended up walking around downtown which had a theme going for the week of "wizarding week". Essentially all the shops coordinate and decorate their store fronts and sell wizard themed items. Boosts people coming downstairs and into the shops. I had a delicious piece of butterbeer fudge!

Saturday: Time to explore the 3rd largest town in Vermont-Rutland. Population 15,207 (only a few hundred less than bennington). Had a delicious turkey sandwich for lunch at a farm to table restaurant in the downtown area. There are lots of street murals around town. They've even developed an app that gives you a tour. It integrates with gps to navigate you on the tour, and each stop has a few paragraphs written about the street art. There was also a scrupture and statue tour you could go on with the same app. Quite a cool idea to promote tourism. Also a great way to explore and walk around the town and see things pointed out you wouldn't have otherwise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb