Food coma


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont » Woodstock
December 26th 2019
Published: December 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We always said we were coming to Vermont to eat (us) and play in the snow (them), and so far, it hasn’t disappointed on either account.

Had to haul arse from our hotel in Midtown to Mecca (also known as Grand Central Station to those not in the transport way) which was about as much exercise as I had intended for the week. Train trip to Stamford was efficient and easy, as was car pick up and journey onto the Interstate, and before we knew it, we were paying homage at that most American of institutions, the road-side Maccas stop. Some were more reverent than others.

Unfortunately it seemed much of the country was also making pilgrimages, and we encountered quite a bit of traffic. But as we headed further north, and more and more snow could be seen, the excitement built. Obviously this excitement reached a climax when we arrived at Walmart, another great location of commercial worship (and a handy spot to pick up some shopping).

By the time we arrived at our beautiful farmhouse, it was pretty much dark, but we could already see how cosy and warm it was going to be.

Awoke to a beautiful sunny day (not great for already melting snow). After a few hours of satisfying the girls’ constant requests of playtime in the snow (and construction of a fairly pathetic looking snow man/bear/seal), we headed into town to pick up our Christmas eating supplies...lucky for the big car! Also needed to find a Christmas tree...possibly easier than it sounds on Christmas Eve. Finally located some massive ones at Home Depot, and, given the time, and our request to lop half of it off so it fit in the car (with all the food!), we got it for free (maybe the accents also helped!).

Returned home (via multiple photo stops) to kick off the festivities with some (more) snow play, some drinking, some eating and some tree decoration. Prepared things for Santa’s arrival and settled in to wait for our first White Christmas!

Lucky Santa found us (and the presents hadn’t gotten too squashed in the ‘sleigh’) and we all got to indulge in our selected activities for the remainder of the day - Geoff, playing with a bird in the kitchen, me, sitting and reading and drinking and kids, running around like maniacs in the snow. Late in the day, they also discovered sleds and almost took themselves out on the fence.

A lovely relaxing day, punctuated by some indulgent eating (pancakes for breakfast, fondue for lunch), topped off by the glorious emergence of the bird from the oven, and its complete destruction in the following minutes.

Taking a day today to recover (may manage a bit more sitting)...hoping to convince the kids to leave the snow for a walk this afternoon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb