Day Three: Boston to Burlington July 8, 2013


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont » Burlington
July 8th 2013
Published: July 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

"She's as sweet as tupelo honey

She's an angel of the first degree"



After a quick trip to the nearby supermarket for some travel necessities (ice, fruit, crackers, cheese, Goldfish, Perrier, and Fig Newtons) we cranked up Van Morrison and headed north to Burlington VT. (Musical collections later in the day included Coldplay, R.E.M., Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts, The Drifters, and Luciano Pavarotti - we try to be eclectic.) This was intended to be just a transit day, but we are always opportunistic, and found two things to see along the way.

The drive was basically interstate driving through the Green Mountains, but these states have the good sense not to mow down everything within sight of the highway, and we were bordered by green grasses and shrubs and dense woods, mixed hardwood and conifer. All in all, a pretty drive, despite the intermittent rain.



The first attraction that we happened to find was the Robert Frost Farm near Derry NH. This is where Frost lived from 1900-1911, before he published his first book of poetry. Many of the poems that would later make him famous were written here, although published later. The farmhouse is now owned and preserved by the state of New Hampshire.



Of more excited interest was our discovery that the Ben and Jerry Factory was in Waterbury VT, along our route. Frosting of a different kind. The actual tour is quite brief and not really all that interesting, but at the end is the tasting room where you are given a generous sample of the flavor of the day. Today's was Salted Caramel Brownie, an experimental flavor, that they will introduce in 2-3 years if there is sufficient approval from tasters such as us. We gave it high marks!



The remainder of the short drive into Burlington was uneventful. We are still deciding where to eat, but it appears doubtful that it will be a culinary triumph.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



8th July 2013
Ben and Jerry Factory, Waterbury, VT

Great photos
I'd love to drive the truck.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb