Big Day Out


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Mexican Hat
October 31st 2010
Published: October 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Just loving this road trip!

Kicked off the day with the promised chopper flight over the Grand Canyon.

Spectacular!!

Perfect Day (bit windy that later became a hurricane but OK for the flight) - loverly clear sky.

Then on the road to Monument Valley and surprised that the trip out followed the Canyon for 60 miles so more vistas (and different) to take in.

The wind came up just as we crossed the Little Colorade River - at an Indian trinket stop site. Nice guy - Viet Vet. went to Melb and Sydney on R&R - (most have never heard of Melbourne.....)

Arrived in Monument Valley to a Gale - but still magnificent vistas. The hotel here The View - aptly named - is on the Navajo reservation. Trip Adviser has come thru again. No alcohol allowed - so advice was to bring your own. Done!

Went for a walk before dinner but as dark approached we doubled back - scared off by the obvious footprints on the trail (known as the Wildcat Trail) - 6 kms but we didnt finish it as we didnt want to be in their park at their time of day.

If the wind dies down tomorrow we will go on an early morning jeep trek thru the valley. If it is still rough (and I mean ruff), we will give it a miss.

Meantime, a few pics. While we took many more of the Canyon, I will spare yo most of them as I clearly punished the readers with the last post.

A couple from the air tho - just for perspective.

Here ya go. Bye for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb