Day 18 - August 17th - Clifton, CO - Lehi, UT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Lehi
August 17th 2012
Published: August 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We awoke this morning to a smokey haze all over the entire mesa. We have been watching the fires that are going on in Idaho and Utah and found out that the smoke was blowing over this section of Colorado. We couldn't see any of the hills that surround the area. We were hoping it wouldn't be at the national park we were headed to. We got a late start out of town and headed for Arches National Park. We took the scenic Hwy 128 into the park and were surprised by to find that this road isn't traveled alot. It follows the Colorado River and comes out just north of Moab Utah. We found a beautiful place to stay when we come again! We headed into the park and saw a line of RV's headed up the side of the mountain and braced ourselves for another Yellowstone...ugh...We were surprised to find that even though there was alot of traffic, it wasn't very busy at all. I have to say this park ranks right up there with Capital Reef for me. It was beautiful. We definately want to come back in the spring and do some hiking. It was only 11am and it was already 91 degrees out! Not good hiking weather..more like laying by the pool weather. We stayed for a few hours and then headed north to our next destination, Lehi, Utah. This will be a quick overnight and then on to Wendover, Nevada (our last stop). The weather has been hot here in Utah, but also VERY smokey! I can only assume that it will get even worse as we get closer to Idaho and Nevada. We plan to leave Lehi later in the morning, drive to Wendover, spend the day by the pool and do some gambling and then hit the road for home. It is a 12 hour drive and I will be doing most of that since Theo has done all the driving so far. What a great time we have had! Once we get home, I will post the stats of the trip. I know we have done easily over 5,000 miles. We are looking forward to our next adventure...Papa wants to take a cruise out of Galveston next year...hmmm...something to think about...ahhh Galveston!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Delicate ArchDelicate Arch
Delicate Arch

This is the most photographed arch in the park


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb