Utah - Canyon Country


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
March 25th 2006
Published: April 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Red Rock CliffsRed Rock CliffsRed Rock Cliffs

A little local color.
To get to Utah from the Grand Canyon South Rim you must go east about 35 miles and then north a hundred miles or so to the first bridge over the Colorado river at Marble Canyon AZ. From there its west over to Fredonia and north into Utah. We moseyed (sp?) up US 89 to the Hitching Post Campground in Panguitch, UT. Panguitch is a neat little cowboy town and is the gateway to Bryce Canyon. A local wrangler told us about a butcher shop where we bought some great ribeye steaks for the grill.
It's about a 60 mile round trip from Panguitch to the end of Bryce Canyon, and is also a pretty good climb up to 10,000 feet. The canyon consists of several "amphitheaters" cut into the limestone along the eastern edge of a high plateau. The result is a very colorful array of balancing rocks and spooky-looking spires called "hoodoos". All in all, a beautiful area and well worth the drive. Tomorrow we start across Nevada on "the lonliest road in America".


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Desert ValleyDesert Valley
Desert Valley

A long and winding road.
Natural BridgeNatural Bridge
Natural Bridge

I wonder how long it took for the wind and rain to make this.
The TunnelThe Tunnel
The Tunnel

Pretty neat, eh?
Rock formationsRock formations
Rock formations

This wasn't even in the canyon. Just a roadside treat along the way down there.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb