Ghost Town Date Night


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
March 5th 2017
Published: March 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Up and at-em early again for us on Friday morning. As we were hooking up, an older couple from near Cleveland stopped by to see if they could claim our spot, if we were leaving. We told them sure, and had a nice chat with them. After that, we were on our way to our next stop, Terlingua Ghost Town. Of course, it's not really my idea of a ghost town. It had pretty much died out some 40 years ago, but then some recreational visitors started to more or less squat in the old buildings. Then, someone had the bright idea of using the place to hold a Texas-wide chili cook-off. Since the it has become a magnet for all kinds of eccentric individuals and a real fun place to hang out.

When we got to town, we actually had decent cell reception for the first time in a week. I used my "All Stays" campground app to find a place to land for the night. I picked one close to the ghost town, and we headed over. Like most RV spots in this area, it was just a big sand lot, but the folks were nice, and it was cheap. We set up, unhitched, and worked on a few chores. Cathy did a wash in their machine, and hung the clean laundry on the provided line. The manager warned us that if a wind came up, it would all get dirty before anyone had a chance to wear it. The thing here is though, the humidity is so low that things will dry in no time. Not more than an hour hanging, and it was ready to fold. We also took advantage of their nice new shower rooms -- it had been a while....

About 5:30, we drove the truck to town to fuel it, and the we went the the ghost town for dinner. There is an old movie house in town that had lost its roof at some time. When people began to gather in Terlingua again, they cleaned it out and held parties and dances there. Because it had no roof, they quite naturally called it "The Starlight". After some time, a fellow bought it, put a roof back on it, and made it into a restaurant. When I was here 6 years ago I treated myself to a fine dinner there. I had spoken of it often to Cathy, and I had promised myself that if the opportunity ever presented itself, I would take her there and show her a good time.

So this was it, I took a picture of her sitting in an old jalopy they have outside, and one of their classy bar stools, and then we went in and were seated. We told our waiter "serve us slow -- we plan to make a night of it!" We shared some apps, had a few beers to warm up, and then ordered our meals. I went with a nice ribeye, and Cathy, in an uncharacteristic bit of daring-do, ordered chicken fried wild boar! I loved my steak, while Cathy said hers was good, but she'd never order it again. Read from that what you will.

Gamy wild pork aside, we both had a great time. Next we'll be head north to sample the most completely un-Texas town in Texas -- crazy Marfa.

Advertisement



7th March 2017

Fabulous!
What an amazing adventure. Thanks for sharing the journey. Safe travels!!

Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.148s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb