Fred takes a ferry


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
February 20th 2017
Published: February 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Sunday dawned foggy again, but we took our time getting road-ready, and by the time we drove the 20 miles to the Galveston ferry, it had burned off clear. The ferrys here run on a fast schedule from the Bolivar Peninsula across to Galveston Island. They are very well run, and depending on demand, they can have as many as 5 running at the same time, but best of all -- they're free! I was a little worried, as I could not remember seeing any large rigs on it last time, but I checked online, and they accept combos up to 60' in length, so we were good to go. We got there in no time and formed up in a line. We were required to show that our LP tanks were valved off. Ours weren't (our refrigerator was running on gas) but we closed them while the loading hand watched. We waited just a few minutes, and were flagged on board. I was a bit apprehensive about the ramp, but it was pretty level, and we had no problems driving right on without bottoming out. As soon as we were underway we went up to the observation deck. That gave us a nice view of the harbor, and a birds eye look at our own rig.

Cathy had done her thing again, and had been able to secure us a 3 night space at the State Park in a spot right behind the dunes, maybe 100 yards from the beach -- nice! Tomorrow is supposed to be an all-day soaker, but we are well ready to just chill out for a bit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb