A Jackrabbit and Bighorn Sheep!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
December 14th 2015
Published: December 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Yes, I finally got to check jackrabbits off of my "animals to see list"! We saw bighorn sheep a few years ago in Colorado but yesterday we saw a huge herd! There were at least 30-40 up on a ridge! It was very exciting!
While staying at Seminole canyon we took a day trip out to Devils River natural area, it is a remote park with no entrance fees, no paved roads, and only 7 tent sites. They are trying to keep it as a preservation area more than for visitors. Expecting it to take around an hour to get there, we didn't realize that was just the distance to the entrance, it was another 22-30 miles down a gravel road to the parking for the river! It was quite the drive! We then hiked an easy mile down to the river. It was beautiful and extremely quiet! No car noises, no people, no phone service! We attempted a short hike to see Finnegan Springs but unfortunately our path become flooded and we had to turn back. 😞 plenty of good photo ops though!
On our long drive back to the main highway is when we got to see the large
Yucca Yucca Yucca

It would be amazing to see all the yuccas in bloom, I think we just missed it by a few weeks.
herd of desert bighorn! At first just saw the funny shaped head of a ram at the top of a nearby cliff and after we stopped the car a few more popped up and then we began to spot more and more all over the cliff! It was really cool!
The rest of the drive we saw lots and lots of whitetail deer and tiny bunnies,(which I learned are Desert cottontail) but when we pulled into our camping site is when I saw the jackrabbit! He was so cute and ears were huge!
The Stars last night were amazing! We heard this morning there was a meteor shower last night and a colorful milky way, we missed both! ? in the days to come I'll spend more time looking for those things.
This morning we did a short walk along the canyon rim to find a cache before heading off to big bend! Our next stop! Woohoo!



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement


imageimage
image

If you look real hard you can see the large herd in the middle of the photo.
imageimage
image

Canyon rim trail - this morning's short hike.
Pecos RiverPecos River
Pecos River

Wow what a site! The water was a georgeous blue!


21st December 2015

This sounds like a really cool site. I'm impressed with the number of critters you saw. Nice find!

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb