Final full day :(


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
March 30th 2021
Published: March 31st 2021
Edit Blog Post

Our very last full day of birding in this amazing RGV (Rio Grande Valley). We didn’t expect to see many new birds, so set our sights on having a “big day,” and saw about 50 different species. We drove to South Padre Island again for the birding center boardwalk, the sand flats, and an “urban lot” again which has an amazing variety. We can’t wait to get home and start hanging orange slices and develop a “water feature” for the hotter weather coming.

We found out something very interesting – that the lagoon between South Padre Island and the mainland is only 2-3’ deep except for the dredged fishing lane. It’s so weird to see fisherman in waders way far out.

We HAD to stop on our way back for another round of fresh flounder and padded oysters at Joe’s Oyster Bar – where else will I ever get a meal of 10 breaded oysters, chips, & cole slaw for $10.99!

Everyone keeps asking us if we’ll be back next year. Hmmm.

So here are some of the most beautiful photos of the day:

Northern parula – something we get to see in Ohio in May/June.

So many hummingbirds on the sugar water feeders.

The rest have been named anyway, so I don’t have to list them.

Our “lifer” – at last – a Louisiana Waterthrush – often seen at Magee Marsh but never before by us.

SO, our BIG YEAR total as of tonight is 275, with 47 of them being seen down here in TX. And there’s still tomorrow morning!!

Can't wait to get home and put out oranges and sugar water for orioles and humming birds, AND scraps of wool for nesting materials. We saw lots of net bags that looked full of cat hair hanging from the same hooks as the feeders.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb