Lake Livingston, I Presume


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
February 26th 2019
Published: February 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our ride down into Texas was uneventful. Still overcast, at least it warmed as we a dropped down the map. We had tried to get a spot at Galveston Island State Park, a favorite of ours from a previous trip, but it was booked solid. Instead, we opted to make it a shorter drive and booked three nights at Lake Livingston SP, about a hour north of Houston. That park too, while not full, was pretty busy.

Arriving on a Friday, the place quickly filled up with young camping families with lots of kids -- and dogs. Everybody there seemed to have dogs -- multiple dogs. They all walked them around the campsite on leashes, and as each dog/dogs passed another site with resident dog/dogs, a confrontation would be set off between "them" - meaning the pets. Although, this being Texas, it could quickly lead to a confrontation between the hominids as well. At least we saw or heard no gun play, I guess we should be thankful for small mercy's.

The lake itself was OK, a big southern mud puddle to my spoiled eyes, but nice enough. It was great to see green vegetation after our months of sterile winter. Even just the thick carpet of clover surrounding the lake shore was a delight. The lake is an impoundment of the Trinity River, once that river allowed some limited barge traffic all the way from the gulf to Dallas, but those days are long gone.

We pulled the bikes out of the truck and rode all over the expansive roadways around the park. It was fine to riding again, it's amazing how that can awaken the ten year old still hiding somewhere inside us.

The weather improved as the day went on, clearing with a bit of sun in the late afternoon. The next day was supposed to be sunny, so we planned to drive down to Houston to tour the battleship Texas, a bucket-list item for me for a long time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb