Waco, Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Waco
June 12th 2010
Published: June 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Waco came in the spotlight of the news media in the early nineties when David Koresh and his Branch Davidians had a bloody shootout with law enforcement just outside of the city in which both sides experienced loss of life. Regardless, there are three reasons why you should visit Waco.

The first one is Cameron Park Zoo, which is located adjacent to the Brazos River. Among its features are a 35,000 gallon freshwater aquarium and a 50,000 gallon saltwater coral reef aquarium. The place also contains a snake exhibit as well as an assortment of birds and mammals.

The next one is the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum. The Rangers have a heritage that began with the earliest settlements in Texas and have been compared to other world-famous law enforcement agencies. They are part of both the history of the Old West and its mythology. The museum has a large collection of rifles, shotguns, revolvers, and pistols including both semi-automatic and automatic. The history of this famous organization is traced throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. There are photos and placards telling of the exploits of various Texas Rangers over the years. There's also a film which documents the history of the organization from its early years until the present.

Last, but not least, is the Dr. Pepper Museum which documents the founding of the famous beverage and how it evolved into the huge business that it is today. Just before the entrance to the building, there are several vehicles used in the transportation of the product. A couple of them are motor driven and the rest were originally pulled by horses. Inside are scores of bottles, both glass and plastic, and machinery used in the makiing of Dr. Pepper. The inside also contains a soda fountain where the visitor may purchase various drinks made from Dr. Pepper.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb