East Texas – Day 8


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Tyler
June 6th 2011
Published: June 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 8


First National Bank/Dalton GangFirst National Bank/Dalton GangFirst National Bank/Dalton Gang

Here, at the First National Bank, a bloody gunfight resulted in three deaths when the Dalton Gang robbed the bank. The robbery resulted in the ultimate capture of the gang, ending its reign of crime and violence.
We packed up and got on the road, first stop Longview. I have wanted a donut for days. When we hit the Longview city limits, there was no sign of a Krispy Kreme, but we found the Donut King! Now on to our first destination of the day, a historical marker at the First National Bank. Not a lot to see but this is the location of a bloody gunfight when the Dalton Gang robbed the bank in 1894.

We next headed for Jacksonville and the Old Jacksonville Cemetery. Some of you may know about my connection to the Cokers. My grandmother, Fannie May DeKunder, was a Coker. My great great great grandmother, Malinda Brown Coker died in Cherokee County in 1853 and is buried there. Her husband, my great great great grandfather Joseph Coker then continued on to Bexar County with his sons and daughters and their families. A lot of history can be found on www.CokerCemetery.com. I encourage you to take a look!

We then headed to Tyler and a visit with Kay’s aunt and uncle, Joyce & Charles Keller. We spent the afternoon together and had a great visit. More tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb