East Texas – Day 7


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Jefferson
June 5th 2011
Published: June 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 7


Caddo Lake State ParkCaddo Lake State ParkCaddo Lake State Park

The fishing pier. What a catch!
We got started early and headed for Caddo Lake State Park. Lots to see there. With some time to kill before the boat tour, we did some hiking in the woods. On the hike, we came across a pavilion built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corp) in the 1930’s. It was still in pretty good shape! We had time for a snack before the boat tour (road trips are hard work and you must stay well nourished!) The tour was really amazing. Caddo Lake is loaded with wildlife. We saw a blue heron, several egrets and fortunately, no alligators!

We then got back in the car and headed for Jefferson. Our tour guide at Caddo Lake had told us about a great BBQ place in Jefferson, Joseph’s Riverport BBQ. After we topped off our tanks, we started our walking tour at the antique store next door. I have never seen such a complete collection of “stuff” - full sets of pottery, oil company toys, soda water bottles, etc. They also had a one of a kind Lincoln limo parked in front of the store! We were also in luck as the town was hosting a Corvette road rally. We found a ‘59 which was very similar to the ’58 that I had back in my high school days (the ’59 was in much better condition!)

We then headed over to the Jefferson General Store. If you ever get to Jefferson, you have got to stop by this place!

Before leaving town, Kay and I each had an assignment. Paul Smith had told me about the old church that some of his family had been a part of in Jefferson and Olive Davis had made a similar statement to Kay about a church in Jefferson. We found what we think was the church and took some pictures.

We finished out the day with a trip back through Karnack, the birthplace of Lady Bird Johnson. We found the historical marker but were unsuccessful in locating the house? More tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

JeffersonJefferson
Jefferson

our lunch stop
JeffersonJefferson
Jefferson

Andy, you should consider this for your next limo?
JeffersonJefferson
Jefferson

First Baptist Church - Jefferson. We think this church may have a connection to Paul Smith's and Olive Davis' families.
JeffersonJefferson
Jefferson

Historical Marker - First Baptist Church - Jefferson
KarnackKarnack
Karnack

birthplace of Lady Bird Johnson


Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1001s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb