San Antonio


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
October 13th 2014
Published: October 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Maggie and I have been exploring San Antonio. We were fortunate to have a hotel right downtown between the Alamo and the RiverWalk because those are the two things we were most interested in. The Battle of the Alamo took place in 1836 when it was still a Franciscan mission. The building we all think of as The Alamo (see photo) is the old church and that is where the defenders made their last stand. There is a little building across Houston street called The History Store which is unaffiliated with The Alamo, but has an accurate scale model on a large table. The narrated light show that recounts the events of the battle (as far as they are known) is well done and we felt much more knowledgeable after seeing it. We found the displays in the Alamo itself are more attuned to drumming up patriotic fervor than to relating historical accuracy. RiverWalk is a feature that, as far as I know, is unique to San Antonio. There is canal made from an old bend in the San Antonio River that has walking paths on both sides and the city is located a couple of stories above. I realize that description doesn't make much sense, so please check out my photos. One can stroll along the paths, stop at a restaurant, or go for a boat ride on the canal. It is a pleasant place walk and a nice alternative to the city streets. I have heard good things about San Antonio from everyone who has ever been here and I am pleased to have been able to see it for myself. Today we are moving on to our next Texas destination. Our road trip from Houston to San Antonio covered a lot of flat scrubland, but today we will be passing through Texas hill country and I am looking forward to seeing that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb