San Antonio Missions in Texas 2005


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
November 26th 2005
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Mission Concepcion #1Mission Concepcion #1Mission Concepcion #1

The first mission I visited.
I decided to visit the San Antonio Missions Historical Park on my home to Laredo, TX for Thanksgiving. There are 4 missions in total, Mission Concepcion (1731), Mission San Jose (1720), Mission San Juan (1731), and Mission Espada (1731). All are located in San Antonio and all were built by Spain to help convert the local Native American population to Catholicism in the 1700's. South Texas has a big Catholic population so I guess it worked to an extent.

The missions are in pretty good shape for being so old. Upkeep has been great and they aren't too crowded so picture taking was excellent. All the missions are connected via roads and road markers making it easy to go from one to the other. All drives were about 5 minutes or less.

The first mission I visited was Mission Concepcion. This is the second biggest of the missions with two nice towers and a side building. There is also a shrine to the Virgen de Guadalupe next to the mission worth looking at.

The second and biggest mission is Mission San Jose. It has a small dome and the complex is still completely surround by the old mission
Mission Concepcion #2Mission Concepcion #2Mission Concepcion #2

Hallway at the mission.
wall. You can see how the mission was organized and how the people used to live in it hundreds of years ago. It is by far the most complete mission there. The famous Rose Window was being fixed and cleaned while I was there. The chapel is still used today. A small plaque asks that you not bring firearms into the chapel.

The third one was the most remote and isolated. Mission San Juan is just a basic mission, small, but long. The mission complex is still there but the walls and the buildings are mostly in ruins.

The last mission is located in a more residential neighborhood. Mission Espada is a nice mission, small, yet functional. The sun sets behind the facade making for some pretty cool photography opportunities.

One can see the whole park in one morning or afternoon. I recommend this trip for those seeking some Texas history, or just wanting an enjoyable short side trip while in San Antonio.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Mission San Jose #1Mission San Jose #1
Mission San Jose #1

Biggest of the missions.
Mission San Jose #2Mission San Jose #2
Mission San Jose #2

Different angle.
Mission San Jose #3Mission San Jose #3
Mission San Jose #3

The famous Rose Window....being fixed.
Mission San Juan #1Mission San Juan #1
Mission San Juan #1

Most abandoned of the four missions.
Mission San Juan #2Mission San Juan #2
Mission San Juan #2

Different view.
Mission Espada #1Mission Espada #1
Mission Espada #1

The last mission on the way out of San Antonio.
Mission Espada #2Mission Espada #2
Mission Espada #2

Self-Portrait with Espada Mission.
Mission Espada #3Mission Espada #3
Mission Espada #3

Espada mission with the sun poking through the window.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb