University of the Incarnate Word


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
April 8th 2018
Published: April 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Since our Easter break finished on Tues April 3, last week was very brief. Our input focused on Ecumenism and Inter-religious dialogue (Scott Woodward) and we continued our regular Faith Sharing. During the weekend, just when we were getting used to spring, winter suddenly returned and with it low temperatures and chilly winds. Fortunately it was short-lived as, by Sunday afternoon, a warmish sun was trying to shine again and this coming week, Week 11, promises to be kind. I took advantage of the cold day to visit the mall but, instead of walking there, decided to catch the bus - a good decision! I found that the Apple store was no less crowded than those at home and rejoiced that this time, at least, I was not a customer. Today a few of us spent some hours at University of the Incarnate Word. The congregation (CCVI) was founded locally, firstly for cholera patients but later included education in their ministries, finally developing the very impressive University of the Incarnate Word. The extensive property was purchased from the Breckenridge Estate and includes the spring which sources the San Antonio River. We were invited to tour the recently completed Heritage Centre (see pics) and to view various works of art, including the somewhat controversial statue of St Michael archangel (rather violent, with sword, but donated by a benefactor!) In the afternoon we enjoyed a choral concert presented by 26 mixed voices from the San Antonio Choral Society.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb