East Texas – Day 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Nacogdoches
June 1st 2011
Published: June 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 3


We began our day in Huntsville celebrating 41 happy years of marriage (41 out of 42 isn’t bad!) It somehow seemed appropriate to be celebrating an anniversary in Huntsville? Our first stop of the day was the Sam Houston Memorial Museum. There is a wonderful exhibit running through the end of August: J. Griffis Smith's Texas: A Retrospective through the Lens and Images from Texas Highways. If you get a chance to see this exhibit, do it. It is a wonderful exhibition of Smith’s work on the covers of the Texas Highways magazine over the last 25 years. Also, there are many other things to see at the museum. I encourage you to click on the link below and take the “Virtual Tour” to have a look.

Sam Houston Memorial Museum

A Trip to Huntsville would not be complete without a drive past (but not stopping) at the famous “Walls Unit.” The first prison in Texas and the place of lots of history, most of it not something you would want to participate in!

The Huntsville “Walls” Unit

We then headed to the Texas Prison Museum. Since it is very difficult to visit a Texas prison unless you are a “guest” of the
Sam Houston's Woodland HomeSam Houston's Woodland HomeSam Houston's Woodland Home

This is where Sam Houston lived while he served as the first United States Senator from Texas.
state, this is the next best thing. Some great exhibits and well worth the time!

Texas Prison Museum

Next was a visit to Sam Houston’s gravesite, a very moving memorial. Our final stop on the way out of town was the Sam Houston Statue, a 67 foot tall replica of the man. More tomorrow!

Sam Houston Statue


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Sam Houston's Law OfficeSam Houston's Law Office
Sam Houston's Law Office

At his Woodland home
Oakwood Cemetery - HuntsvilleOakwood Cemetery - Huntsville
Oakwood Cemetery - Huntsville

The location of Sam Houston's gravesite.


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb