Ewing, Texas, (Angelina County) USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Lufkin
August 1st 2020
Published: August 6th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Ewing, Texas, population zero. (All photos were shot on or by US Hwy 103 in Angelina County.)

According to TSHA (Texas State Historical Association) Ewing was on the Angelina and Neches River Railroad ten miles SE of Lufkin in Angelina County. The H G Bohlssen Company built a hardwood lumbermill, active from 1920 to 1944. S W Henderson and H G Bohlssen formed that corporation. Bohlssen was crushed to death by a falling stack of lumber in 1923. Bohlssen's widow sold out to Henderson; and the company name was changed to Angelina Hardwood Company. Other major misfortunes including the 1924 fire that destroyed the town. From 1931 to 1933 the sawmill closed due to the Great Depression. The shortage of labor due to World War 2 closed the sawmill. While the sawmill was being dismantled, a co-owner John Henderson fell into a burning pile of sawdust and was killed. In 1944 the Post Office was closed and mail service was transferred to the small town of Huntington, also in Angelina County.

Also according to TSCA, one of the company stockholders, James A Ewing, gave his name to the community Post Office in 1920. The old Ewing plantation (with slaves) dated back to before the USA Civil War. In 1945 Ewing had only one business and a population of fifty; and soon was abandoned.

Now there is no railroad or RR station there. At the Sam Rayburn Reservoir in Angelina County is the Ewing Park with a boat launch, and a RV camp. I do not know if the Ewing Park is owned by the Ewing family.

note: East Texas development depended on pine tree harvests for products. There were few hardwood sawmills. Now certain hardwood tree sawmills make valuable wood products that are hard to find.

completed


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Sam Rayburn ReservoirSam Rayburn Reservoir
Sam Rayburn Reservoir

danger lake crossing
Sam Rayburn ReservoirSam Rayburn Reservoir
Sam Rayburn Reservoir

Ewing boat launch


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb