Blackjack Community, Cherokee County, Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Jacksonville
July 10th 2021
Published: July 14th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Blackjack Baptist Church, Cherokee County, TexasBlackjack Baptist Church, Cherokee County, TexasBlackjack Baptist Church, Cherokee County, Texas

from TexasEscapes.com (not the 1875 building)
I was exploring NE Cherokee County and I found on the county map two historic Markers to visit. North of New Summerfield on State Hwy 110 I turned East on county road 4713. I did not know that the intersection is the center of the dispersed community of Blackjack. (The current Blackjack Baptist Church is by that intersection.) The name Blackjack came from the many Blackjack Oak trees there; and the early settlers cut those oak trees to build their log cabins.

Maybe a quarter mile on CR 4713 I turned South on Cherokee County Road 4714 (a rough road) to the dead end at the Fitch Cemetery (serving the Blackjack community). Most of the burial stones were from the Fitch family including some current stones. Now a smaller stone caught my attention because it had a historic marker for Robert Graves Standler. Robert fought in the US War of 1812 and the Texas Independence in 1836. On my way out I stopped at an old building by the cemetery.

I could not find any useful information on the Fitch Cemetery.

According to TexasEscapes.com, Robert Standler founded the Community of Blackjack with his extended family in the 1840s. In 1875 the Blackjack Baptist Church was established. In 1916 the first general store was open for business. Around 1919 the community peaked with about 100 people, two stores, a cotton gin, and a school. After World War 2 (1945) the school closed with the students attending classes in Troup, Texas, about 25 miles to the North. In 1961 the last store closed. Now this dispersed community has less then fifty people.

completed


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Fitch Cemetery, Cherokee County Road 4714Fitch Cemetery, Cherokee County Road 4714
Fitch Cemetery, Cherokee County Road 4714

Robert Stadler stone & Historic Marker
Texas Hwy 110, nearby Blackjack, TexasTexas Hwy 110, nearby Blackjack, Texas
Texas Hwy 110, nearby Blackjack, Texas

Samual Smith Homesite Historic Marker


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb