Houston, Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Houston
August 31st 2011
Published: September 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We were knackered after our 30 hour bus journey so it was great to be collected from the bus station by Josue our couch-surfing host. After getting refreshed Josue took us out to try some authentic Mexican food and it was delicious. Melanie, another couch-surf host, joined us and then we went to an English pub for a beer where we met some more of their friends. Although we were tired it was a really nice night and a great way to unwind.

In the morning Josue cooked us some breakfast and then we went for a drive to Houston Space Centre; we had been told that the tour of the Space Centre was not very good value for the money which was backed up by reviews on Trip Advisor, so we went to the Rocket Park instead. We saw a rocket that had been in space and this was good enough for us; in fact it was quite amazing to see it and to read about all the Apollo missions. We then went to San Jacinto Monument which commemorates The Battle of San Jacinto, a decisive battle in the Texas Revolution; it was interesting to learn a bit of Texan history and more about when Texas was an independent country.

We had seen that there was some live music on in the afternoon to celebrate Houston’s 175th birthday so picked up some picnic food and wine and headed there with another couch-surf host Ryan as Josue was busy. It was a nice afternoon; listening to the music, chatting over a few glasses of wine and we met the mayor. We were a bit tipsy when we met her, and I proceeded to ask if we could have our photo taken with her as I thought it would be funny; Dim was cringing as this was said in my poshest of English accent!

We went and met Josue and some others at a restaurant and then went to a party at another couch host’s house called Corey and at this point I was pretty worse for wear!! We met a number of people including, Nilean, Hector, Neal and Abir (all couch surfers). It was a good party and apparently I was telling everyone how I wanted to be a politician because I speak the truth; Dim I think was cringing again. I felt hung-over the next day and
Rocket Park...Rocket Park...Rocket Park...

they had to cover the rocket due to weather erosion.
so we had a day of chilling out which was nice; I cooked for Josue and his 2 children Ben and Lulu, who we met for the first time tonight; the food went down well and the kids were great.

The next day we were feeling a lot better so we went to the Holocaust museum; this was such a great museum but very harrowing. I have watched several films about the Holocaust previously so I had a pretty good understanding about what happened but this museum was so educating, graphic and in turn upsetting; it had excellent exhibitions and photographs detailing the plight of the Jews in occupied Europe before, during and after world war 2 and the movie contained a number of Jews speaking emotionally about their personal experience.

We headed back to the house out of the scorching 40 degree heat and chilled out until the evening when we went to watch a Baseball game; Houston Astros vs Pittsburg Pirates. We picked up another surfer Rick, who we were going to stay with. The indoor stadium was very modern and we were on the top row. Included in the price was a free Hotdog, Chips and Coke – oh yeah. However we were a little disappointed when the chips turned out to be crisps – forgot they say things funny over here!!! Anyway as the mid week game was not busy, we moved further down to the front which made the game a bit more interesting. Astros had a good 6th Innings and scored a full 6 runs which gave them the game.

When we got home we ate pizza and went to bed, packed and ready for our next Greyhound journey to New Orleans…’The Big Easy’.



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Rocket Park...Rocket Park...
Rocket Park...

they had to cover the rocket due to weather erosion.
Oil well...Oil well...
Oil well...

we thought this picture was very interesting and says it all about oil and war.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb