Old Boat - New Boat


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Houston
June 11th 2008
Published: June 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Howdy,
This blog details the trials and tribulations of the Frakes family in their quest to buy a boat and sail off to the Caribbean to do missionary work (build church buildings). So let me begin at the beginning - a logical place it seems.
In 2005, after owning a Maine Cat 30 for 4 years, we decided to buy a bigger cat. Something we could go cruising on. We wanted a St. Francis 50 - but could not afford $900K - so we settled on an Island Spirit 401. In order to see one we had to go to the 2005 Annapolis Boat show. This is the year they had a Tropical Storm blow thru. Perhaps it was an omen - one I chose to ignore....
We met Stephen and Estelle Cockcroft at the show and they showed us the IS. We fell in love with her. I talked my wife into doing it and so we signed the contract with a caveat we would go sail her in Fort Lauderdale before we really got too serious. We also met Jannie Els there - the owner of Fortuna Catamarans of Cape Town South Africa at the show. We all got along well and we came settled on a delivered price of $394,000 - not bad for a fully loaded 40 foot cat. I also knew that the prices of goods and services would soon be going thru the roof - so I figured this was the right time to pull the trigger. In that regard, I was 100% right. Since we bought boats in that range have gone up in price over $100K.
Later we flew from Texas to Fort Lauderdale to spend a weekend with the Cockcrofts on board Awespray. We had a wonderful time and end the end - gave them more money to begin the building process. I was fully aware of the risky nature of building in South Africa, but thought those bad things would never happen to us. Well - live and learn....
So the boat was supposed to be ready in on the way in December of 2006. We planed a trip to SA in October and had hopes of sleeping on the boat while she was in final fit out.
We flew to SA (man that is a long flight) and spent 15 wonderful days in SA. Cape Town is a lovely place and we even went on a safari for three days in the Kruger National Park....but the boat was no where close to being done...major disappointment. But, you know, boat building is a tough biz and gee they will get it done - no worries - eh mate?
So while driving to work on January 19th, 2007 I get a call from my inspector overseeing the work in SA. "Mr. Frakes I have some unfortunate news to tell you - it seems that Fortuna has gone bankrupt and have shut down”….duh.
To make a long and dreary story short - I flew down to SA and rescued the boat from the sheriff and creditors. Moved the boat to Admiral Yachts and got a price from them to fix her up. However, since most of the work left to do was subcontractor work - we decided to just put the boat in the water and finish her at the marina. Which we did. I wrote all this in one little paragraph - but it took six months.

So on August 2, 2007 SWACat left Cape Town and headed for Key West. She arrived on September 19th. She had a few little issues on the way - but we got it all fixed up and on September 22nd we departed for Seabrook, TX and her home slip at Lakewood Yacht Club.
It was a fine 6 day trip with almost no wind nor waves - we motored almost the entire trip. But we had her home finally….what a relief. Almost 2 years from the day we decided to buy her - we had her home and safe …. Or so we thought.
For 5 glorious months we sailed SWACat. What a fine yacht she was. For a cat she was fast and tacked thru 80 degrees if you needed her to. She was sweet, roomy and just a wonderful boat all the way around.
So on January 11th, 2008 (January seems to be a tough month for us) I got a call from the harbormaster at Lakewood - “Mr. Frakes there seems to be black residue coming out of the salon door” he said…to which I asked “well have you called the fire department?” “ No” he said - “well don’t you think that is a good idea???” I said. Not sure if he ever did or not.
Anyway - SWACat had a big central GFCI get hot and catch on fire creating a think black and nasty smoke that destroyed the interior of the boat. After much ado - we determined she was a total loss and I got a check and the boat went to Auctions Are Us - and she has a nice new owner in St. Marks River area of Florida (near Steinhatchie).
Now - we are looking for a nice used boat…not going to ever buy another new boat - just too much work.
We have been on the hunt now for three months and have decided to not buy a cat for now. It simply hurts too much. So we went looking for a monohull. But the cat had spoiled us. We wanted enough room to entertain and be comfy onboard….
After much looking we had settled on a Tayana 52. She was a beautiful boat - but the owner did not really want to sell her. So we kept on looking. Then one morning early I got up and did another yachtworld search and up popped a new boat - a Morgan 60. Now I had no idea that Morgan ever built a 60 foot boat and we were not in the market for something that big….but gee the pictures were really nice. So I called the broker in Annapolis and we began to talk. He explained how the boat had been professionally maintained by a captain and crew since birth and that she had never been under charter and how everything on her works….it sounded too good to be true. So the following week, Cindy and I jumped a plane and headed to Annapolis. At first look - she is breathtaking. She is huge, beautiful and well maintained. Yes, there are a few issues - but by far she had less than all the other boats we had looked at. We went home with stars in our eyes.
That Sunday we made an offer and it was accepted. During the Marine Survey, an issue came up and in the end - we got cold feet and withdrew our offer. It was a very sad day at the Frakes house. We both wanted that boat - but we thought better of it at that price. So we went looking for other boats.
We tried a Contour 50 in Canada but got cold feet on that one too. Then we flew to Florida to see a couple of Freedom 45’s - they were wonderful. And then there was a great deal on a Beneteau 473…in the end we made an offer on the Bene. It was accepted and we made plans to go to Florida - then the broker with the Morgan called and lowered the price by $35K. So it was decision time. We worked the issue for 3 days and finally told the Bene guy we were backing out. We sent in a new offer on the Morgan and it was accepted. Deal done.
Now we are waiting to go to Annapolis for Sea Trails and then to sail her home. It is going to be roughly a 3 week sail mostly upwind - so we will motor most of the way.
So that is our story - crazy and sad and then happy again…..we hope we can get the new boat home without any trauma from Hurricanes - pray for us.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb