Galveston, TX


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Galveston
September 12th 2010
Published: September 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Woke up to a leaky air conditioner AGAIN!!! Back to Camping World to get a refund. Turns out it was surprisingly easy...seems like they've been down that little road before...note to self: find a new service company!!!

So off to Galveston!! Arrived about 1pm at the Jamaica Bay RV Park...nice!! Has mini golf, nice grassy areas by their paved lots and full hookups!! Headed for the beach just across the road!!! Had a nice walk...noticing that 2 years after Hurricane Ike, many of the homes have been repaired or rebuilt, but quite a few are still showing the vestiges of that rath!! Ike blew through on 9/12/08...anniversary weekend!!

Lots of surf fishermen out on this fine Saturday!! Saw one guy catch what we think was a yellowfin tuna, and another lady caught a smaller fish that looked like a trout to me...that's not what she called it, but she wasn't sure what it really was either...

We got some dinner at Casey Gaidos...YUM!!! Shrimp, catfish and seafood balls...and it was reasonably priced right on Seawall Blvd!! Watched the sunset from the deck at Woody's, then back to the park and paddled around in the pool for a while. A truly fabulous day!!!

Got up Sunday and took our lawn chairs over to the beach and sat in the surf...felt like we were in a Corona commercial...just needed beer and limes!!! Took another stroll up and down the surf. Showered off the salt and headed downtown to check out the Ocean Star Museum. It's a retired oil-drilling rig set in the bay. Very informative, as I didn't know much about drilling oil in the gulf, other than it can get out of control in a hurry!!! It was a bit humorous that they talked about how well the Blow out preventor works, and how hard everyone strives not to spill a drop of oil!! (Clearly they haven't updated their information since the Deep Water Horizon incident!!)

Got some shrimp and redfish to cook for dinner and back to Woody's to watch the sunset while the band: Pee Wee Moore played on the deck. They were a good country band, so enjoyed them!! As they were finishing up their set, we all noticed that there was a car that was stuck in the surf...apparently that happens all the time...tourists park their car on the sand (all of the beach lots are right on the beach, but most of them are a bit wider than this particular one...anyway after a pickup also got stuck trying to help them out, another pickup got the first pickup out, but the car was too far in the surf, so a tow truck finally got them out. We left before seeing if the car would actually start or not...

G made us a wonderful seafood dinner and I did our laundry, then off to bed!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb