Hamilton Pool


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dripping Springs
February 14th 2010
Published: February 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Andrew, Oliver and ColleenAndrew, Oliver and ColleenAndrew, Oliver and Colleen

Checking out the mini waterfalls.
Oliver took his first official hike at Hamilton Pool today. Hamilton Pool is a natural water pool located at the bottom of a 50-foot sink hole. If I understood correctly, the hole was created naturally by the water eroding the limestone. Andrew's Uncle Gene told me that there are many sink-holes in Texas, many of which go a lot deeper than this one. Some are formed by caves that, well, cave in.

We strapped Oliver onto his daddy with the Snugli and made our way down the path to the bottom of the sink hole. The walkway reminded me a bit of Yellowstone. We switch-backed down the path and across some small creeks and marched down many stairs. We heard the waterfalls before we saw them. They poured down over the top of the sink hole and splashed into the pool. Swimming is usually allowed in the pool, but it was closed for swimming today because of high bacteria levels. It would have been too cold to swim, anyway.

Oliver loved the sound of the waterfalls and tried to yell above their roar. Andrew walked gingerly across the slick rock, and Zach helped spot him to make sure there'd be no stumbles. We walked around the back of the largest waterfall and came to a clearing where we met up with some of Andrew's Aunt Carol's family (her sister, Anne, has twins and gave us many clothes for Ollie). It was beautiful. Light reflected off the limestone, and there were waterfalls pouring into the pool. Hanging moss dangled above us, moving from the wind. Storm clouds started to move in, though, so we turned around and headed back almost immediately.

I really think Oliver had a good time, although he had a big spit up near the end that soaked through his clothes and gave him a chill. We turned on the heat when we got back to the car and changed him into a set of clean clothes.




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Waterfall at Hamilton PoolWaterfall at Hamilton Pool
Waterfall at Hamilton Pool

This is the waterfall pouring into Hamilton Pool.
Our FamilyOur Family
Our Family

The three of us at Hamilton Pool.
Extended FamilyExtended Family
Extended Family

Andrew's Aunt Carol with her sister, Anne, and Anne's husband, Tim, and the twins, Shawn & Alex.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb