More Sights from Long Ago


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas
July 14th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 32.778, -96.7956

After a nice sit-down-and-order breakfast in the hotel, we took a driving tour of east Dallas. We first drove by the house where Jane was living when Philip was born. We went by a couple of years ago when we were here, but forgot to take photos that day. Next we drove by his childhood home expecting to photograph it, too. There were several people out in the yard next door and someone was trimming the trees in front of his house so I didn't pull out the camera. I didn't want to set off a neighborhood watch alert or get anyone worried. We did take photos last time we were here.

We drove to St. Marks Presbyterian church and stopped since a car was parked in the front lot. Philip tried the front doors, but they were locked. As we were walking away, a woman came to the door and let us in. I told her that we were married in the church 43 years ago and Philip said he grew up in that church. She let us wander around on our own. We took some photos that I am eager to compare to our wedding photos when we get home.

We found Gaston Junior High/Middle School and Reinhardt Elementary with the help of the car's navigation system. Philip thought he could find them, but it has been a long, long time since he tried. Bryan Adams High School is behind the church so it was easy. Reinhardt now has a historical marker out front.

We tried to find the two apartments we lived in together, but weren't sure about either of them. We did see the K-Mart where Charles used to work. The Big K sign in front is there, but now the business inside is the Mercado Garibaldi Bazaar.

After a great lunch at El Fenix, the one near SMU, we went back to the hotel so Philip could grade the final papers of this class. He'll have the final grades due and posted on the final day of our trip.

We had dinner in the hotel at Knife. Delicious steaks.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb