A visit to the Southfork Ranch where the tv-series Dallas was shot


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas
October 8th 2006
Published: October 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Southfork RanchSouthfork RanchSouthfork Ranch

The Ewing residence! Do you recognise it? I did straight away when I saw it.
Yeasterday we did a visit to Southfork Ranch in Texas which is about 30 mins by car from downtown Dallas.
Southfork is the ranch where the tv-series Dallas was shot and where the Ewing family was living in the tv-series, although only the exterior parts were filmed there, the interior shots were recorded in a studio in Los Angeles.

The house looked a lot smaller in reality than on TV (not that I used to follow Dallas but I watched it occasionally when I was a child). The surroundings are very beautiful though and the weather was gorgeous, sunny, blue skies and around 28 degrees.
They also had a Dallas museum at the ranch with some of the original furniture and an exhibitions about the characters and the actors of Dallas.

As a little surprise it turned out they had a festival going on at the ranch during the weekend celebrating the 90th birthday of a country singer called Gene Arvey (I think that was the name, he is dead now though).
It was a bit of a country festival with a few bands playing and they also had a lot of Texas stuff there like horse shows and
Southfork RanchSouthfork RanchSouthfork Ranch

The house and a small part of the large ranch.
cowboy shows and they sold sadles and cowboy hats.
Not a lot of tourists either, mostly locals, so it was really fun to visit. We spent the whole afternoon there and enjoyed it thoroughly!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Southfork RanchSouthfork Ranch
Southfork Ranch

Yes Dallas was shot here!
Southfork RanchSouthfork Ranch
Southfork Ranch

Some of the characters from Dallas.
Southfork RanchSouthfork Ranch
Southfork Ranch

A horse show with cowboys. Wild western!
Southfork RanchSouthfork Ranch
Southfork Ranch

The pool behind the house. I was told one of the characters fell from the balcony into the pool (and died?). Pretty nice though, but the pool looks so much larger on tv.
Southfork RanchSouthfork Ranch
Southfork Ranch

Horse carriage somebody?
Southfork RanchSouthfork Ranch
Southfork Ranch

Jacob, the cowboy!
Southfork RanchSouthfork Ranch
Southfork Ranch

Cool models of traditional Texan houses.
Southfork RanchSouthfork Ranch
Southfork Ranch

Sadles for sale!
Southfork RanchSouthfork Ranch
Southfork Ranch

Country music!


11th October 2006

Dallas mansion!
It was such a surprise to learn about the country festival they were having on Southfork that day of our visit...I am certainly really please with my Elvis bag, I think it was such a fantastic idea to make a LP into a record :)...you know, just yesterday I learned a lady from my school has this gorgeous poster of Dallas TV show. Guess where she got it? She was fortunate enough to assist to the Dallas anniversary reunion in 2004 (the one we learnt about from the museum!) I thought it was such a coincidence...

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb