Irving, Dallas and Fort Worth


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas
September 28th 2010
Published: October 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Howdy from Texas...

Fri 24th Sept- Managed to find the train station from the greyhound station in downtown dallas, got the train to Irving a suburb where the hostel was, a woman and her daughter gave us a free lift from the train station to the hostel, Texans are the friendliest people ever. The hostel was really cool, the owner is so relaxed and gave us loads of local info, he doesn't live at on sight so everyone at the hostel keeps it going and there are some great people staying, massive open plan living area and all the extras like internet and laundry are free. Had drinks with people at the hostel in the evening.

Sat 25th Sept- Headed to Fort Worth on the train with two irish guys from the hostel. Arrived downtown and went to the tourist information where they told us to board Molly the Trolley to the stockyard area, a historic authentic cowboy area. There were cowboys riding the streets, county music spilling from every bar, a cattle drive through the streets and shops selling hats, boots and belts. Sat in a bar listening to live country music and eat at an old fashioned texan statehouse. We then went to the Rodeo which was indoors and crazy there was bull riding where young guys had to stay on a bucking bull for as long as possible, men stayed on bucking horses gaining points for style and flair, cowboys lassoed calves and bulls and cowgirls raced around barrels. Then went to Billy Bobs the biggest Honky Tonk in the world, the only bar i have ever been to where you felt silly for not wearing a hat, loads of authentic cowboys, a famous country singer performing and country dancing on the dance floor, then on the recommendation of a true cowboy we headed to rodeo exchange a smaller honky tonk with a great atmosphere. Called it a night at 2am and took a taxi back to the hostel. It felt like spending a day on the set of a western movie.

Sun 26th Sept- Headed to downtown Dallas on the train with the Irish guys and went to the 6th floor museum housed in the building from which JFK was shot, it was audio narrated and told you all the details of his presidency and assassination. There are X on the road showing where the car was when the bullets hit him and also a memorial to him. We also took a trolley tour to the west end area of the city.

Mon 27th Sept- Headed to the Texas state fair- the biggest state fair in the USA. It was like the lincs show but a lot bigger, everything in Texas is bigger and better according to them. Free food, music, stalls and rides.

That ends our time in Texas, Nasa was so cool and makes you hope you get to go to space one day and fort worth proves that cowboys and there way of life it truly alive and kicking, yeeha.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb