Lone star


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas » Uptown
June 10th 2011
Published: June 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Over the past few days in Texas we have driven in a hot car, almost thought we weren't going to make it any further due to the car almost going bust (Bryce rectified the problems for 25$ handy man), taken on the major rides at two six flags locations, ate, slept, taken loads of pictures and generally sat still for not too long and couch surfed for the first time. When we were in Amarillo we ran into a sheriff who told us to travel to Fredericksberg, a small town in Texas who was founded by Germans originally, which is where it got it's name and character. Lots of the street names are of origin descent, and there is literally a tonne of German food and historical buildings to see. When we found the visitor center we were greeted by a nice old lady who spoke rather mundane and looked into the thin air as she spoke. And boy did she speak, for about 1 1/2 hours of historical knowledge she did share, and whilst we wanted to get a move on we still were happy to listen to the things she had to say. We wandered through old schools and homes of the first settlers to arrive, breathed in the fresh air and watched as little lizards scurried through the bricks in the blacksmith house. That night we got a cheesy motel (Yes another one!) and went for a walk through the street down to a restaurant where a live band was playing, all the locals were there and we got a few drinks and sat down for a few hours. Well one of the band members, the harmonica player, came and chatted to us for a bit which was nice, turns out his son was in the U.S military so he took a shining to Bryce. The next day we set off early for San Antonio to meet up with our couch surfer, Brie. Brie was a wonderful host and we were pretty stoked to have her as our first couch surfing experience, she just welcomed us into her home and we watched a movie with her and had some of her own home made lemonade, it was absolutely delicious, like a lemon slurpee. We had a great nights sleep and woke up ready for our adventure to the caverns, about 20 minutes out of San Antonio, and they were amazing. There were tonnes of Stalactites (Mineral deposits that hang from the roof of a cave) and Stalagmites which is a secondary mineral deposit that grows upward from the ground in the cave, which were in large formations in the main parts of the cave. It was pretty slippery in there as well, and me being the typcial aussie wore a pair of my best double pluggers only to nearly slide away. It was a nice break from the drive to Six flags Fiesta, Texas, it wasn't exactly the best six flags ever but we still had fun on the coasters, and it was Bryce's first time at a theme park so it was pretty funny watching how nervous he was on the first ride. Well, now he is an addict like myself and we are always looking for the next best, bigger ride.
So we decided our next six flags would be Over Texas (Texas has two 6 flags), which was way better. We rode nearly every ride, and in old good mum faith I even got Bryce to ride the merry go round with me ( it was exhilarating...being the only oldies without children on the ride) , so in good faith I think it's safe to say we got every penny worth out of the park that day. The only thing that really bugs us is the silly carnies on the side shows that constantly hound you all day to play their ridiculous games in exchange for the hopes of winning a giant stuffed pickle or spongebob squarepants, however as we were walking to one of our last rides for the day I spotted a weiner dog in between a bun with sauce which I thought was cute. Huge mistake, never EVER say that aloud, as soon as the carnie heard it I ran off not realizing he had heard it as I saw a few people coming towards the line for our next ride that I left Bryce alone for a few seconds, long enough for the carnie to start announcing to Bryce "Come on, don't be an asshole now, win your girl the toy". Poor Bryce, he sped off to be in line with me. That day was hotter than ever and we ended up sleeping in the van for half an hour or so, which wasn't the most pleasant sleep for us both, but evening siestas are becoming somewhat of the norm for us. We went off that afternoon to stay with our second host on Couchsurfing. We are right in the downtown area where there is everything to do and see in Dallas, Texas.
The city of Dallas is beautiful, great architecture and things to do- museums, cafe's, restaurants and parks. Last night John, our host, too us out for Mexican food and drinks, which was fun, and the Dallas Mavericks (Basketball team) won which made everybody around us happy. Tomorrow we are actually going to see some of the sights, and then set off for little rock, halfway to Memphis, where we will get all the blues music going, shake our legs like Elvis and cruise down the main stip eating bad for us foods.
Whoo wilks!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb