Galveston to Mustang Island


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Corpus Christi
February 18th 2007
Published: February 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Trouble with a tireTrouble with a tireTrouble with a tire

It's not as obvious in the picture which tire is flat
Thurs. Feb. 15th: Today we got off to a later start than planned due to a flat tire on the RV. It’s not as simple as having a flat tire on the car. We called our insurance road service and the guy that they usually send out for RV repairs was on vacation. So they called around to see who else could come out and ended up sending the non-RV wrecker. They weren’t able to remove the tire, but when they pumped air into the tire they found the leak at a loose valve stem extender. So we were on the road after about a two hour delay. We stumbled upon a nice campground in Bay City, Texas with full hook-ups including cable TV. The 3 rules at the campground were simple: Speed limit 8 miles/hour, Don’t feed the animals, and you must wear clothes. We joked that at 40 degrees and dropping quickly the last one wouldn’t be a problem. After stopping early and having a relaxing evening we were ready to go again the next morning.

Fri. Feb. 16th: The course of true love of travel never runs smooth. People who drive behind glass windshields shouldn’t catch stones. But we did! The result was a big ugly dimple with two spider veins escaping from it. We called insurance and hope to meet a replacement passenger side windshield someplace down the road. We arrived at Mustang Island State Park, near Corpus Christi, early in the afternoon, just in time to get the last unreserved campsite for the weekend. We enjoyed walking the dogs on the beach and then going into Port Aransas for a good dinner. This seems to be a nice area with lots of things to do and see.

We used our GPS system to help when we were heading toward Port Aransas. The funny thing with the GPS system is that when we were on the ferry it told us that we were off route, but we were on route on each side of the channel.

There seems to be some different rules of the road here in Texas. We’ve been traveling on 2 lane roads with wide shoulders. We were impressed by the width of the shoulders. George commented that they looked good for biking. As we’re driving along, 2 cars passed us at the same time with one in the other lane
Mustang Island beach walkersMustang Island beach walkersMustang Island beach walkers

George at beach with Neeko and Lizzie
and one on the far shoulder! Later when we’re behind some vehicle they pull off onto the shoulder, but don’t slow down, so we could pass on a curve. I questioned a friend who has lived here in Texas for many years and she asked if we’d been passed yet on the right by someone driving on the shoulder. She also recommended that if we have to stop on the side of the road, we should pull off as far as possible and have a spotter to warn if someone is headed our way on a collision course. The shoulder no longer looks like a great place to bike.

Sat. Feb. 17th: It was a windy walk on the beach this morning, but the sun was shining and it was promising to be a warm day. I gave Neeko his summer hair cut this morning. He was warm on the beach and into wading in the surf, so it’s easier to keep him untangled with frequent water immersion. This afternoon we went to The Port Aransas Birding Center and walked out on boardwalk. It certainly is a busy place with lots of different birds. We saw pelicans, hawks, green
Port Aransas Bird CenterPort Aransas Bird CenterPort Aransas Bird Center

Freighter on the horizon in the channel
winged teals, wood ducks, American avocets and others. In addition to the birds we saw some nutria and a turtle. We saw some serious birdwatchers with impressive telescopes!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Birds at Port Aransas Bird CenterBirds at Port Aransas Bird Center
Birds at Port Aransas Bird Center

Lots of birds in the water.


18th February 2007

Whew!
Now this entry, although I'm sorry about your mishaps, sounds more like a Holmberg vacation. It's great you're sharing the good and the not so good experiences. I just retrieved my crystal ball and I foresee much better times ahead. We're off to the Caribbean in the 25th and then a stay of 9days in Florida. I'll visit your site if and when I find a cyber spot in FL. 3-3 to 3-9...
19th February 2007

Greetings
Hello Lynne and George! I have encouraged reading your blog regularly. The photographs add a lot to my "arm chair" touring. THANKS for sharing! I hope that your calls to the insurance company are the last for your travels. Stay safe, enjoys your travels, and keep on sharing, especilly with those of us stuck in winter.
24th February 2007

Hi Lynn and George, I love reading your blog. Sounds like a great time inspite of a few bumps in the road. Happy Camping to you!

Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0943s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb