You can see Mexico from here


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Big Bend
November 3rd 2005
Published: November 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We crossed into Texas and spent the morning exploring the old historic area of El Paso, before driving on through places such as Valentine and Mafra in order to arrive late and set up camp in the awesome Big Bend National Park. Here we had to deal with black bears (all food and toiletries had to be locked in the van or in the large bear boxes provided), ate curry and had one of our spoons stolen by a skunk!

The next morning we were up early and hiked up Emory Peak (7832ft) before driving to a lookout point on the Rio Grande where we could see Mexico across the river. Someone claimed we were a "stone's throw" away but all five blokes in the group failed to actually get a stone to land on the Mexican side. Fitz complained "Hey, stop giving Mexico all our rocks!" and mirth was enjoyed by all...

That evening some very tired campers ate Swee-talian meatballs prepared by cooking team B (genuine Swedish meatballs prepared by Alex, one the swedes in our group, in an Italian tomato sauce!).

No more skunks came that night and we all slept very soundly...



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Big bend campsiteBig bend campsite
Big bend campsite

Sunrising...


Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 15; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb