Kerville to San Antonio to Austin!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
January 8th 2009
Published: January 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: The Awesome Grandma 24 secs
After checking out of our hotel in Kerrville, we headed outside and couldn't believe it was beautiful, sunny, and 75 degrees! Texas weather was better than California--we were sure someone was playing tricks on us.

We drove to San Antonio to see the Alamo, where we learned it looks nothing like it did in Peewee's Big Adventure. We did, however, see David Crockett's hair in a locket, and learned that Richard Stockton was the only known man to die at the Alamo from New Jersey, and that's why there is a New Jersey university named after him. We saw the first hospital in Texas, which was at the Alamo, and found it very interesting that they brought Camel from Africa to the Alamo thinking they would do well in the "desert". The camel was no match for the horse, so they eventually sent them back.

After the Alamo in San Antonio, we headed to Austin, arriving before five. We decided to stay at the Hilton which is right by 6th street--where all the nightlife and entertainment is, and "why they call Austin weird". We went out to dinner at Cantina Laredo, and then headed out to Pete's Dueling Piano Bar, which was great fun. There was an 80 year old woman who the piano guys got to take shots, which Andrew skillfully captured video of. It's a dark video, but worth the eye strain to see. We requested many songs and had a great time. Everyone is really, really nice here! Speaking of the people, we also saw our first straight up cowboy--wrangler jeans, boots, and a huge hat. He was trying to hit on all the girls who were clearly on dates with other dudes, and ended up getting made fun of by the pianists and leaving.

It was so warm in Austin, it was great! We're going to head out to dinner and a movie later tonight, per the advice of Mom W!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Our Dessert at DinnerOur Dessert at Dinner
Our Dessert at Dinner

Andrew showing his great manners.
Tom Petty/Scott Farthing Look-AlikeTom Petty/Scott Farthing Look-Alike
Tom Petty/Scott Farthing Look-Alike

The pianists said this guy looked so much like Tom Petty used to that he had to get up on stage and lip synch the Tom Petty song. Krystal was freaking out because this guy looked just like her dad did when he was young!


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb