Amarillo, where sweet margarita waits for me!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
July 30th 2011
Published: July 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Left the Tucumcari Inn on the '66' a little later this morning as we didn't have to ride quite so far. Filled up the tank and headed east towards Adrian, which is exactly midway between Chicago and L.A. This would take us out of New Mexico and back into Texas.

Stopped in this small reminder of what a town on the route 66 used to be like (before the interstate ruined the businesses.) Had some lunch in the apt, Midpoint Cafe, took some pics (all of these cafes, resturants/pubs all have gift shops within them!)

We got on the bike in the seering Texan heat (the dash was showing over 100 degrees) and set off for Amarillo. (Singing the song, obviously!) We pulled in at the most inccredible tourist attraction 'cadillac ranch', where 10 graffitti'd cars stand half upright in a texas field. looks weird but awesome!

We had to stop just before Amarillo as my water reserves had depleted and I could feel my head about to burst! After a couple of hours in the scorching heat, which you don't really feel as there is a constant breeze on a motorcycle. Your body must lose all of it's fluids or they evaporate through sweat or something. It just gets to a point where you have to pull off the road, get some shade and rehydrate! After that you're good for another couple of hours.

Lost another hour when we hit Amarillo so we booked in to the 'Camelot Motel' just outside the centre. Had a cold shower and headed downtown on the bike. Decided later to go to the otherside of town to check out 'Big Texan Steak Ranch', who advertise a free 72oz steak if eaten within an hour! Otherwise you have to pay $72. They will even collect and drop you off by limo (with cattle horns on the front!) The place was so busy on a friday night, there was no chance without a reservation. Had tacos instead!

Oklahoma tomorrow. Long ride but might stay for two nights. (If Curly says it's ok!!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb