May 16: Tri-Corner Knob Shelter to Davenport Gap out of GSMNP to Standing Bear Farm Hostel, Hartford,TN


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee
May 23rd 2008
Published: May 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another night of wind and rain, but again as the night before some kind soul had hiked a tarp into the shelter. This was used to enclose the front of the shelter keeping it quite livable. There was a pair of small resident rodents on patrol, but did little damage to anything. They did however go out into the rain, climb the bear cable, and scout the food bag that hung there (someone else’s food). Then proceed to chew through and sample each and every food item within. These hikers were not amused to say the least. The rain seemed to let up some as we packed up to go, but just to be safe we both dawned rain gear before rucking up for the trail. These past few days have been a bit miserable to say the least with being constantly damp and on the cold side.
I forgot to say why Phexen was no longer walking with us. He had to go into Gatlinburg, TN for food re-supply and we had enough to get us through the park. We do miss his company and hot, fresh brewed coffee.
Our plan for the day was do 14.8 miles to Davenport Gap Shelter if possible, stay the night there, and then walk the 3.3 miles out of the park to the hostel and our last re-supply box. Wind and rain along with the number of up hill climbs all combine to help or hurt our daily plans. The wind was constant all day, 10 - 20 mph from all different directions. I'm sure it always came from one direction. We are winding around the mountains going north, then east, then
South, and west so it hits on all sides. The Smoky Mtns lived up to their name with the mist and fog rolling up and down the mountains like waves against the shore. We found it hard to keep just the right amount of clothing on throughout the day. We ended up just wearing our rain gear and being damp from the combination of rain and sweat.
We hit the last shelter in the park at 4PM. Chain link fence enclosed to front, no skylight in the old roof, tall full foliaged trees and rain clouds laid dark shadows everywhere. There were two people in the shelter already. We talked to "Athena" who we had been walking near for the past two days. She was trying to arrange a shuttle to Hot Springs. She was behind schedule because of feet problems and ran out of time to do the last 30 some miles of her hike. She couldn't get a ride until tomorrow so she opted to stay. CC and I discussed our situation and decided to run for the hostel and do the 3.3 miles more. This would give us a dry bed, warm shower and a chance to wash our cloths after the six day park crossing. We had walked 76.2 miles in six days!
That last 3.3 miles were killers. 2.4 miles of it were up a very steep hill. There was one set of stone stairs that even made me cringe. We walked into "Standing Bear Farm" at 6PM making our days trail time almost nine hours. It is quite the rustic place with an old bunkhouse and one old, two couple house. We got the deluxe house at bunkhouse price as the BH was full. It came complete with a gas fireplace and two queen sized beds. We had the place to ourselves and as it turned out the warmest also. CC said she would cook if I did the wash. The washing machine was two tubs, a scrub board, and an old hand cranked wringer attached to one tub. There was a modern electric dryer. The owner said the hand wash was the most economical way as he gets over 900 hikers per year. It also gets hikers on the ball getting the chore done. After supper, laundry, and showers CC and I tucked ourselves in under a couple of homemade quilts for a warm, dry nights sleep.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost


Advertisement



Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0956s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb